Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux Headed For More PCs Than Windows

Linux Headed For More PCs Than Windows

impossible

Oh, wait....sorry....it's just another gimmick....some kind of "quick boot"
module to amuse people until the real operating system takes over.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...rating+Systems

Looks like Linux has finally discovered its niche in the consumer market --
as a warm-up act for Windows. Congratulations!.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

impossible wrote:
> Oh, wait....sorry....it's just another gimmick....some kind of "quick
> boot" module to amuse people until the real operating system takes over.
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...rating+Systems
>

> Looks like Linux has finally discovered its niche in the consumer market
> -- as a warm-up act for Windows. Congratulations!.

So if Windows is so marvellous why aren't Dell et al using it as
their "quick boot" solution?

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> impossible wrote:
>> Oh, wait....sorry....it's just another gimmick....some kind of "quick
>> boot" module to amuse people until the real operating system takes over.
>>
>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...rating+Systems
>>

>> Looks like Linux has finally discovered its niche in the consumer market
>> -- as a warm-up act for Windows. Congratulations!.

> So if Windows is so marvellous why aren't Dell et al using it as
> their "quick boot" solution?

Oh, that desktop I had a hard disk issue with upon installing Vista?
The dude who purchased it a couple of days ago is going to wipe Vista
and install Linux...next time I sell a PC I'm not gonna shell out 85
quid for a lipstick pig OS just to make it more appealing to buyers.

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Chris Wilkinson" typed:
> Hi there,
>
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> impossible wrote:
>>> Oh, wait....sorry....it's just another gimmick....some kind of
>>> "quick boot" module to amuse people until the real operating system
>>> takes over.
>>>
>>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...rating+Systems
>>>

>>> Looks like Linux has finally discovered its niche in the consumer
>>> market -- as a warm-up act for Windows. Congratulations!.

>> So if Windows is so marvellous why aren't Dell et al using it as
>> their "quick boot" solution?

> Oh, that desktop I had a hard disk issue with upon installing Vista?
> The dude who purchased it a couple of days ago is going to wipe Vista
> and install Linux...

Ouch!

> next time I sell a PC I'm not gonna shell out 85
> quid for a lipstick pig OS just to make it more appealing to buyers.

Next time it might pay to quote it as-is and then give an option of paying
extra to have Windows install disks included. (I bet nobody pays the exra.)
That way you avoid having to sully your hands. <g>

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Will Spencer

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:19:34 GMT, impossible wrote:

> Looks like Linux has finally discovered its niche in the consumer market --
> as a warm-up act for Windows. Congratulations!.

An observation.

A few years ago (late ninties early 2000's) everyone I knew that didn't use
Windows used Linux.

Today everyone that I know who doesn't use Windows uses Mac, and I don't
know wanyone who uses Linux at all, and I know more people now than I did
back then.

-ws

Key/English 08 - Change We Need.

Cool game - http://www.virtualskipper-game.com/en/

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Carnations wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 18:18:06 +0000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> Oh, that desktop I had a hard disk issue with upon installing Vista? The
>> dude who purchased it a couple of days ago is going to wipe Vista and
>> install Linux...next time I sell a PC I'm not gonna shell out 85 quid
>> for a lipstick pig OS just to make it more appealing to buyers.

> Did you end up keeping Vista or give it to the buyer on the laptop?

Laptop? I sold a desktop, but yes I did give him Vista, as it was
installed, activated, fine-tuned etc...I already have Vista on the
laptop, which we're keeping.

I had to smile at the irony of going to the trouble of buying,
and installing Vista, just to have the first person to look at
the system buy it to install Linux...

Damned Murphy!

> If he wasn't going to use it then at least you could have it as something
> unused on your shelf - ie you could use it but you won't. )

I'm likely to build a desktop once we arrive back in Brisbane in
a couple of months time, and I might spec it to play newer games
so I'll purchase Vista for that. openSUSE 11.x will still be the
"daily driver" OS on that machine.

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Chris Wilkinson" typed:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>>> Hi there,

>>> So if Windows is so marvellous why aren't Dell et al using it as
>>> their "quick boot" solution?

>> Oh, that desktop I had a hard disk issue with upon installing Vista?
>> The dude who purchased it a couple of days ago is going to wipe Vista
>> and install Linux...

> Ouch!

I managed to not fall over when the guy mentioned that, and
after my blood-pressure dropped back to near-normal I think
I even managed a wry smile..

It doesn't matter; the key thing is that I sold it before we
left Edinburgh...

>> next time I sell a PC I'm not gonna shell out 85
>> quid for a lipstick pig OS just to make it more appealing to buyers.

> Next time it might pay to quote it as-is and then give an option of paying
> extra to have Windows install disks included. (I bet nobody pays the exra.)
> That way you avoid having to sully your hands. <g>

I figured that the majority would consider a PC fully installed and
ready to run with, to be a better buy - damn my logical thinking!

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <CSMOk.44652$(E-Mail Removed)2>, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> openSUSE 11.x will still be the "daily driver" OS on that machine.

You like SuSE? Never been tempted by, say, Ubuntu or Mandriva?

impossible

"Chris Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vSGOk.9994$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> Hi there,
>
> impossible wrote:
>> Oh, wait....sorry....it's just another gimmick....some kind of "quick
>> boot" module to amuse people until the real operating system takes over.
>>
>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...rating+Systems
>>

>> Looks like Linux has finally discovered its niche in the consumer market
>> -- as a warm-up act for Windows. Congratulations!.

> So if Windows is so marvellous why aren't Dell et al using it as
> their "quick boot" solution?

Windows is Dell's operating system of choice, because that's the platform
that drives all the applications users want. You're clearly thrilled to see
Linux get some play as a embedded gimmick piece, but really...that's pretty
pathetic.

impossible

"Chris Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uZHOk.172046$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> Hi there,
>
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> impossible wrote:
>>> Oh, wait....sorry....it's just another gimmick....some kind of "quick
>>> boot" module to amuse people until the real operating system takes over.
>>>
>>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...rating+Systems
>>>

>>> Looks like Linux has finally discovered its niche in the consumer market
>>> -- as a warm-up act for Windows. Congratulations!.

>> So if Windows is so marvellous why aren't Dell et al using it as
>> their "quick boot" solution?

> Oh, that desktop I had a hard disk issue with upon installing Vista?
> The dude who purchased it a couple of days ago is going to wipe Vista
> and install Linux...next time I sell a PC I'm not gonna shell out 85
> quid for a lipstick pig OS just to make it more appealing to buyers.

Why would you pay 85 quid for Linux? You can download it for nothing, like
any other giveaway piece of trash.