Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ihug screws up Mac authentication AGAIN!!

ihug screws up Mac authentication AGAIN!!

Your Name

Yet again ihug has screwed up the authentication so Mac dial-up users with
Mac OS 9 and earlier can't even log on. This is about the fourth time, and
it took two weeks to get it fixed last time (it was one week before they
would even listen to me and bother to look at the problem!) ... how long
will it take before they actually fix it this time! Of course, absolutely
nothing about it on the useless "status" page.

Nik Coughlin

"Your Name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ged4v6$a6q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yet again ihug has screwed up the authentication so Mac dial-up users with
> Mac OS 9 and earlier can't even log on. This is about the fourth time, and
> it took two weeks to get it fixed last time (it was one week before they
> would even listen to me and bother to look at the problem!) ... how long
> will it take before they actually fix it this time! Of course, absolutely
> nothing about it on the useless "status" page.

There is no ihug. There is only Zuul.

Uh, I mean, Vodafone.

Your Name

And now they've managed to screw up the webmail server so I can't get my
emails at all ... and the worthless Status page still says "there are no
problems".

Adam

Carefully document this. Write them a letter on
paper soonest.

Easier to follow up with the overseeing bodies
down the track. Plus, its gets them motivated
on their swivel-chairs.

Is all I can suggest. [Apart from getting a good
hacker to debug it from your end].

Your Name

"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gedplq$lr8$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Carefully document this. Write them a letter on paper soonest.
>
> Easier to follow up with the overseeing bodies down the track. Plus, its

gets them motivated on their swivel-chairs.

> Is all I can suggest. [Apart from getting a good hacker to debug it from

your end].

The better option would be to ditch ihug completely, but it would be very
diffcult to change all the email addresses.

It's annoying that every time I phone up and tell them the problem *IS* at
their end and has happened before, they still insist on trying to go through
the standard no-Help Desk script of checking my settings. Now of course it's
the weekend so absolutely nothing will be done until Monday, if they are
even bothering to look at it yet at all. The latest drone told me they
couldn't report a fault with dial-up and they would have to get the
supervisor to report it, and then told me they will get someone to look at
the "exchange" ... despite me telling them multiple times that the problem
is with their authentication server and has nothing to do with the
phoneline. :-\

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <ged4v6$a6q$(E-Mail Removed)>, Your Name wrote:

> Yet again ihug has screwed up the authentication so Mac dial-up users with
> Mac OS 9 and earlier can't even log on.

As I recall (it's been a few years since I did dialup) there should be a
couple of options in the PPP control panel, one to enable logging of the
authentication exchange, and another to allow you do it manually. May be
worth trying these.

Adam

Your Name wrote:

> . . . . told
> me they couldn't report a fault with dial-up and they would have to get
> the supervisor to report it, and then told me they will get someone to
> look at the "exchange" ... despite me telling them multiple times that the
> problem is with their authentication server and has nothing to do with the
> phoneline. :-\

But no written response from them, neither on paper
nor in email.

Writing requires them to respond in a concrete and
hopefully reasoned (and thus quotable) way.

OT: Orcon seems to rate well.

greg

Adam wrote:
> Your Name wrote:
>
>> . . . . told
>> me they couldn't report a fault with dial-up and they would have to get
>> the supervisor to report it, and then told me they will get someone to
>> look at the "exchange" ... despite me telling them multiple times that the
>> problem is with their authentication server and has nothing to do with the
>> phoneline. :-\

> But no written response from them, neither on paper
> nor in email.
>
> Writing requires them to respond in a concrete and
> hopefully reasoned (and thus quotable) way.
>

> OT: Orcon seems to rate well.

File a complaint with www.tdr.net.nz

that seems to get them off their backsides and into action

Greg

Your Name

"greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gefjk3$o7r$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Adam wrote:
> > Your Name wrote:
> >
> >> . . . . told
> >> me they couldn't report a fault with dial-up and they would have to get
> >> the supervisor to report it, and then told me they will get someone to
> >> look at the "exchange" ... despite me telling them multiple times that

the
> >> problem is with their authentication server and has nothing to do with

the
> >> phoneline. :-\

> > But no written response from them, neither on paper
> > nor in email.
> >
> > Writing requires them to respond in a concrete and
> > hopefully reasoned (and thus quotable) way.
> >
> > OT: Orcon seems to rate well.

> File a complaint with www.tdr.net.nz
>
> that seems to get them off their backsides and into action
>
> Greg

The problem is that no-Help Desks are fine for novice users to help them
set-up their system, but they are useless when someone who knows what
they're doing is trying to report a problem at the ISP's end. I get the same
problem with a work Xtra account (which is even worse thanks to the silly
voice "recognition" system they now have) - the problem is never at their
end, you always have to check your own settings every time you phone, but
eventually when you do finally get them to actually bother looking into it
properly they find and fix the problem. You have to keep nagging at least
daily.

Your Name

"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gefi5h$neq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Your Name wrote:
>
> > . . . . told
> > me they couldn't report a fault with dial-up and they would have to get
> > the supervisor to report it, and then told me they will get someone to
> > look at the "exchange" ... despite me telling them multiple times that

the
> > problem is with their authentication server and has nothing to do with

the
> > phoneline. :-\

> But no written response from them, neither on paper
> nor in email.
>
> Writing requires them to respond in a concrete and
> hopefully reasoned (and thus quotable) way.
>
> OT: Orcon seems to rate well.

Emailing does zero good and take literally months to even get a reply, if at
all. The only thing I've found that eventually works is to phone them at
least daily and nag them into doing something.

It strikes me as utterly ridiculous that the exact same problem keeps
happening roughly every six months (possibly a server software upgrade), but
it still takes so damn long to get it fixed! Part of that is probably
because their servers are in America, or Asia.