Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Is there a time limit for replies?

Is there a time limit for replies?

Rafe

I tried to post some follow-ups to some issues I posted in the hopes
of helping others, but I only get "reply to author" and "forward", but
no "reply" option (using GoogleGroups). Is there some kind of time
limit to reply?

Thanks,
- Rafe

Ulrich Eckhardt

Rafe wrote:
> I tried to post some follow-ups to some issues I posted in the hopes
> of helping others, but I only get "reply to author" and "forward", but
> no "reply" option (using GoogleGroups). Is there some kind of time
> limit to reply?

Two things:
1. Google Groups is by far not the best interface to the Usenet. Using a
dedicated newsserver and a real newsclient would be much much better.

2. This newsgroup is actually a mailinglist with a mail-to-news gateway
connecting it to the Usenet. Anything can happen with a mediocre newsclient
like GG and possibly wacky setups of mailclient and the gateway.

If you are interested in this group/mailinglist, get at least a real
newsclient or simply subscribe to the mailinglist itself.

cheers

Uli

--
Sator Laser GmbH

Rafe

On Oct 31, 5:21*pm, Ulrich Eckhardt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rafe wrote:
> > I tried to post some follow-ups to some issues I posted in the hopes
> > of helping others, but I only get "reply to author" and "forward", but
> > no "reply" option (using GoogleGroups). Is there some kind of time
> > limit to reply?

> Two things:
> 1. Google Groups is by far not the best interface to the Usenet. Using a
> dedicated newsserver and a real newsclient would be much much better.
>
> 2. This newsgroup is actually a mailinglist with a mail-to-news gateway
> connecting it to the Usenet. Anything can happen with a mediocre newsclient
> like GG and possibly wacky setups of mailclient and the gateway.
>
> If you are interested in this group/mailinglist, get at least a real
> newsclient or simply subscribe to the mailinglist itself.
>
> cheers
>
> Uli
>
> --
> Sator Laser GmbH
> Geschftsfhrer: Thorsten Fcking, Amtsgericht Hamburg HR B62 932

Can you recommend anything? I would like to avoid 1,000s of emails
flooding my account though. It also has to work from behind a strict
corporate firewall.

Thanks,

- Rafe

Paul Boddie

On 31 Okt, 10:38, Rafe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I tried to post some follow-ups to some issues I posted in the hopes
> of helping others, but I only get "reply to author" and "forward", but
> no "reply" option (using GoogleGroups). Is there some kind of time
> limit to reply?

Probably not for any of the newsgroups or mailing lists accessed via
Google Groups. The behaviour you're seeing could be temporary - Google
Groups isn't always particularly reliable - or it might be the case
that the sender is one of those people who has requested that their
messages not be archived, perhaps interpreted by Google Groups in the
way you describe, but I'm just speculating at this point.

Paul

Ulrich Eckhardt

Rafe wrote:
> Can you recommend anything? I would like to avoid 1,000s of emails
> flooding my account though.

I like knode from KDE for browsing the Usenet. The Mozilla suite also
contains a newsreader. Other than that, use a webmail account and configure
a filter to file everything Pythonic into a separate folder.

> It also has to work from behind a strict
> corporate firewall.

When a firewall prevents work from being done, then there is a simple
technical solution. In any case, you might want to ask your sysadmin
whether the company or their ISP has a newsserver which you could use.

Uli

--
Sator Laser GmbH

Terry Reedy

Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
> Rafe wrote:
>> Can you recommend anything? I would like to avoid 1,000s of emails
>> flooding my account though.

> I like knode from KDE for browsing the Usenet. The Mozilla suite also
> contains a newsreader. Other than that, use a webmail account and configure
> a filter to file everything Pythonic into a separate folder.
>
>> It also has to work from behind a strict
>> corporate firewall.

> When a firewall prevents work from being done, then there is a simple
> technical solution. In any case, you might want to ask your sysadmin
> whether the company or their ISP has a newsserver which you could use.

This list is available from free news.gmane.org as group
gmane.comp.python.general. Works well enough.