Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Need advice/suggestion for small project

Need advice/suggestion for small project

AEB

Hello, my supervisor has requested that I write a program to display
2D waves in 3D using Python. Basically I have a time series file that
has the heights of the wave over time steps, and I want to extrude
these waves lengthwise so that they appear in a 3D manor. I am not
very familiar with Python development, could someone point me in a
good direction, and maybe comment if this is a little to ambitious for
a first time python user?

I do have moderate programming experience in other languages (java, c/c
++, vb.net).

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 05:47:32 -0700, AEB wrote:

> Hello, my supervisor has requested that I write a program to display 2D
> waves in 3D using Python. Basically I have a time series file that has
> the heights of the wave over time steps, and I want to extrude these
> waves lengthwise so that they appear in a 3D manor. I am not very
> familiar with Python development, could someone point me in a good
> direction, and maybe comment if this is a little to ambitious for a
> first time python user?

This doesn't sound so much like a Python problem but more a graphics
programming problem in general and depends on the way you want to display
the data. OpenGL? Tkinter canvas?

> I do have moderate programming experience in other languages (java, c/c
> ++, vb.net).

If you are new to Python you should work through the tutorial in the
documentation. For people with programming experience in other languages
`Dive into Python` is a recommended free Python text.

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch