Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer cannot connect to the internet and is slow to boot up

Computer cannot connect to the internet and is slow to boot up

computergeek3000

Hello everybody at alt.computer.
I have a pc and it is slow to boot up.
It uses windows xp.
I just installed trend micro pc cillin on it and i thought it slowed down my
pc and it is still slow during startup not boot up.
And ulture vnc program says sockerts init failed and the hp update too.
And i connect to the internet using wifi.
I can get a signal and connect and entered in a static ip, subnet, dns all
right and i still cannot connect.
I use a belkin f5d7050 wifi usb dongle and a belkin f5d7230-4 router.

Paul

computergeek3000 wrote:
> Hello everybody at alt.computer.
> I have a pc and it is slow to boot up.
> It uses windows xp.
> I just installed trend micro pc cillin on it and i thought it slowed down my
> pc and it is still slow during startup not boot up.
> And ulture vnc program says sockerts init failed and the hp update too.
> And i connect to the internet using wifi.
> I can get a signal and connect and entered in a static ip, subnet, dns all
> right and i still cannot connect.
> I use a belkin f5d7050 wifi usb dongle and a belkin f5d7230-4 router.

According to the article here, the latest pc-cillin versions have a firewall,
and you could start by disabling that. It is apparently a two
way fire wall, so it should have been presenting a dialog box,
saying "application X is trying to dial out". Have a browse through
the configuration panel for the product, and see if the firewall
is mentioned in there. The firewall feature will interfere with IP
networking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-cillin

AV products are busy in the background, intercepting data going to and from
the hard drive, doing background scans, and perhaps doing something similar
for web browsing and the like. Some products are very intrusive, and
you end up feeling more like a "guest" on your computer, rather than
the "owner".

To give an example of how bad some of these features work, I had
an AV program on the computer, and if I go to My Computer, do
a Properties on one of my listed volumes, attempt to do
"Disk Cleanup", without the AV running, that might take
10 to 20 seconds to complete. (The computer is figuring out
what temporary data can be discarded.) With the AV enabled,
it might take 5 to 10 minutes for that to run, and in the
Task Bar, the AV is running all the time during that interval.
As the "Disk Cleanup" thing is running, every file referenced
by Disk Cleanup, is being checked by the AV software, which
is just stupid. That is when I no longer feel like I own my
computer. I have to walk away, until the disk grinding stops.

Paul

computergeek3000

what would be the soulition to this problem.
And I uninstalled pc cillin too.

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:geg74c$9hj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> computergeek3000 wrote:
>> Hello everybody at alt.computer.
>> I have a pc and it is slow to boot up.
>> It uses windows xp.
>> I just installed trend micro pc cillin on it and i thought it slowed down
>> my pc and it is still slow during startup not boot up.
>> And ulture vnc program says sockerts init failed and the hp update too.
>> And i connect to the internet using wifi.
>> I can get a signal and connect and entered in a static ip, subnet, dns
>> all right and i still cannot connect.
>> I use a belkin f5d7050 wifi usb dongle and a belkin f5d7230-4 router.

> According to the article here, the latest pc-cillin versions have a
> firewall,
> and you could start by disabling that. It is apparently a two
> way fire wall, so it should have been presenting a dialog box,
> saying "application X is trying to dial out". Have a browse through
> the configuration panel for the product, and see if the firewall
> is mentioned in there. The firewall feature will interfere with IP
> networking.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-cillin
>
> AV products are busy in the background, intercepting data going to and
> from
> the hard drive, doing background scans, and perhaps doing something
> similar
> for web browsing and the like. Some products are very intrusive, and
> you end up feeling more like a "guest" on your computer, rather than
> the "owner".
>
> To give an example of how bad some of these features work, I had
> an AV program on the computer, and if I go to My Computer, do
> a Properties on one of my listed volumes, attempt to do
> "Disk Cleanup", without the AV running, that might take
> 10 to 20 seconds to complete. (The computer is figuring out
> what temporary data can be discarded.) With the AV enabled,
> it might take 5 to 10 minutes for that to run, and in the
> Task Bar, the AV is running all the time during that interval.
> As the "Disk Cleanup" thing is running, every file referenced
> by Disk Cleanup, is being checked by the AV software, which
> is just stupid. That is when I no longer feel like I own my
> computer. I have to walk away, until the disk grinding stops.
>
> Paul

Paul

computergeek3000 wrote:
> what would be the soulition to this problem.
> And I uninstalled pc cillin too.

I find the most encouraging part of your problem description,
to be that DNS is working.

If you open a DOS window, and type

nslookup www.sun.com

it returns the right answer ? I get 72.5.124.61 here.

If you then go to your browser, and try

http://72.5.124.61

does the web page appear ? (Sun Microsystems home page)

For a ping test, it looks like my news server still supports
ping. Many sites have turned off ping support, so you wouldn't
get an answer. In the DOS box, try

ping nntp.aioe.org

ping 194.177.96.26

You should see four reply packets in each case.

According to this, DNS uses UDP on port 53. That means
a packet was able to make it to your router box, do a
DNS query, and return to your computer. I presume a bunch
of underlying stuff must be working OK, for that to happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

I think that is why I'm fixated on a firewall issue.

For example, I found a page here, with suggestions
on how to configure PC-cillin firewall, so an application
can "punch through". I know you've already mentioned you've
uninstalled the TrendMicro software - perhaps you could put
it back, and experiment with this stuff.

http://www.ctimls.com/Support/KB/How...e_PCcillin.htm

If I was debugging an Ethernet (wired) problem, I'd use
Wireshark to watch the packets. I don't know of a good
tool, that is going to provide more evidence of what the
problem is with Wifi.

Paul

> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:geg74c$9hj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> computergeek3000 wrote:
>>> Hello everybody at alt.computer.
>>> I have a pc and it is slow to boot up.
>>> It uses windows xp.
>>> I just installed trend micro pc cillin on it and i thought it slowed down
>>> my pc and it is still slow during startup not boot up.
>>> And ulture vnc program says sockerts init failed and the hp update too.
>>> And i connect to the internet using wifi.
>>> I can get a signal and connect and entered in a static ip, subnet, dns
>>> all right and i still cannot connect.
>>> I use a belkin f5d7050 wifi usb dongle and a belkin f5d7230-4 router.

>> According to the article here, the latest pc-cillin versions have a
>> firewall,
>> and you could start by disabling that. It is apparently a two
>> way fire wall, so it should have been presenting a dialog box,
>> saying "application X is trying to dial out". Have a browse through
>> the configuration panel for the product, and see if the firewall
>> is mentioned in there. The firewall feature will interfere with IP
>> networking.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-cillin
>>
>> AV products are busy in the background, intercepting data going to and
>> from
>> the hard drive, doing background scans, and perhaps doing something
>> similar
>> for web browsing and the like. Some products are very intrusive, and
>> you end up feeling more like a "guest" on your computer, rather than
>> the "owner".
>>
>> To give an example of how bad some of these features work, I had
>> an AV program on the computer, and if I go to My Computer, do
>> a Properties on one of my listed volumes, attempt to do
>> "Disk Cleanup", without the AV running, that might take
>> 10 to 20 seconds to complete. (The computer is figuring out
>> what temporary data can be discarded.) With the AV enabled,
>> it might take 5 to 10 minutes for that to run, and in the
>> Task Bar, the AV is running all the time during that interval.
>> As the "Disk Cleanup" thing is running, every file referenced
>> by Disk Cleanup, is being checked by the AV software, which
>> is just stupid. That is when I no longer feel like I own my
>> computer. I have to walk away, until the disk grinding stops.
>>
>> Paul

computergeek3000

I uninstalled pc-cillin and still get the problems.
and my pc takes 15 minuts to boot up.
I might be switching to linux now that im haveing all these problms.

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:gegp9o$694$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>>> you end up feeling more like a "guest" on your computer, rather than
>>> the "owner".
>>>
>>> To give an example of how bad some of these features work, I had
>>> an AV program on the computer, and if I go to My Computer, do
>>> a Properties on one of my listed volumes, attempt to do
>>> "Disk Cleanup", without the AV running, that might take
>>> 10 to 20 seconds to complete. (The computer is figuring out
>>> what temporary data can be discarded.) With the AV enabled,
>>> it might take 5 to 10 minutes for that to run, and in the
>>> Task Bar, the AV is running all the time during that interval.
>>> As the "Disk Cleanup" thing is running, every file referenced
>>> by Disk Cleanup, is being checked by the AV software, which
>>> is just stupid. That is when I no longer feel like I own my
>>> computer. I have to walk away, until the disk grinding stops.

John Holmes

computergeek3000 "contributed" in alt.computer:

> Hello everybody at alt.computer.
> I have a pc and it is slow to boot up.
> It uses windows xp.
> I just installed trend micro pc cillin on it and i thought it slowed
> down my pc and it is still slow during startup not boot up.
> And ulture vnc program says sockerts init failed and the hp update
> too. And i connect to the internet using wifi.
> I can get a signal and connect and entered in a static ip, subnet, dns
> all right and i still cannot connect.
> I use a belkin f5d7050 wifi usb dongle and a belkin f5d7230-4 router.

"computergeek" eh?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

--
<snip>

David Marshall Lemcoe Jr.

HLS

"computergeek3000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gej5r7$fvu$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I uninstalled pc-cillin and still get the problems.
> and my pc takes 15 minuts to boot up.
> I might be switching to linux now that im haveing all these problms.

I think you should postpone Linux until you get the present issues solved.

I like Linux, but wouldnt want to install it on a machine that is already
misbehaving.

Paul

HLS wrote:

> "computergeek3000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gej5r7$fvu$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I uninstalled pc-cillin and still get the problems.
>> and my pc takes 15 minuts to boot up.
>> I might be switching to linux now that im haveing all these problms.

> I think you should postpone Linux until you get the present issues solved.
>
> I like Linux, but wouldnt want to install it on a machine that is
> already misbehaving.

I actually use Linux, to scan for viruses on the Windows hard drive

So there are good reasons, even on a misbehaving machine. My recommendation
now, after some experiments, is that while the LiveCD versions do allow
booting from the CD, if you do serious work that way, you should set
up a swap partition on the hard drive. Even a little swap partition
helps prevent it from running out of RAM and crashing the window manager
(argh).

Paul

computergeek3000

What should i do to fix up my pc.
I UNINSTALLED trend micro internet security and it is still slow.
What should i do to fix it?