Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: password confirmation - how?

Re: password confirmation - how?

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

There is a link to the sample code that you can download on the top right
side of the page.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

"timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks....but....how do I implement your suggestion? Is there a sample
> application I can run? Your page doesn't provide a .sln file. What am I
> supposed to do with all of the supporting files?
>
> If my concerns sound ignorant, please excuse me...I am new to .net. How

can
> I get your help to work for me?
>

> "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Forms Authentication is likely your best bet.
> > It is easily configured in your web.config file.
> > Here's more information:
> > http://www.dotnetbips.com/displayarticle.aspx?id=9
> >
> > --
> > I hope this helps,
> > Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> > http://Steve.Orr.net
> > Hire top-notch developers at http://www.able-consulting.com
> >

> > "timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have a simple asp.net project. How do I enforce that a password be

> > entered
> > > before accessing any part of the website?
> > >
> > > Thanks.

timmso

Yeah, I know. Like I said, I have the supporting files, but there's no
".sln" file. What am I supposed to do with all the supporting files? Don't I
need the 'solution' file to run the app?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is a link to the sample code that you can download on the top right
> side of the page.
>
> --
> I hope this helps,
> Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> http://Steve.Orr.net
> Hire top-notch developers at http://www.able-consulting.com
>

> "timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks....but....how do I implement your suggestion? Is there a sample
> > application I can run? Your page doesn't provide a .sln file. What am I
> > supposed to do with all of the supporting files?
> >
> > If my concerns sound ignorant, please excuse me...I am new to .net. How

> can
> > I get your help to work for me?
> >

> > "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Forms Authentication is likely your best bet.
> > > It is easily configured in your web.config file.
> > > Here's more information:
> > > http://www.dotnetbips.com/displayarticle.aspx?id=9
> > >
> > > --
> > > I hope this helps,
> > > Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> > > http://Steve.Orr.net
> > > Hire top-notch developers at http://www.able-consulting.com
> > >

> > > "timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > entered

Jim Shelly

If it has a vbproj or a cproj or can open it that way.

If it has neither of these files then create a new project in vs.net and add
the files manually. To add the files, just right click on the project in
the Solution Manager, click add, then click Add Existing Files.

"timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, I know. Like I said, I have the supporting files, but there's no
> ".sln" file. What am I supposed to do with all the supporting files? Don't

> need the 'solution' file to run the app?
>
> "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There is a link to the sample code that you can download on the top

right
> > side of the page.
> >
> > --
> > I hope this helps,
> > Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> > http://Steve.Orr.net
> > Hire top-notch developers at http://www.able-consulting.com
> >

> > "timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Thanks....but....how do I implement your suggestion? Is there a sample
> > > application I can run? Your page doesn't provide a .sln file. What am

> > > supposed to do with all of the supporting files?
> > >
> > > If my concerns sound ignorant, please excuse me...I am new to .net.

How
> > can
> > > I get your help to work for me?
> > >

> > > "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

be

timmso

Thanks. I put it in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\DemoFormsAuth, tried to run it and
got the error message:

Configuration Error

in IIS.

Source Error:
Line 19: "Forms", "Passport" and "None"
Line 20: -->
Line 21: <authentication mode="Forms">
Line 22: <forms name="myform" loginUrl="login.aspx" />
Line 23: </authentication>

How do I correct this?

"Jim Shelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If it has a vbproj or a cproj or can open it that way.
>
> If it has neither of these files then create a new project in vs.net and

add
> the files manually. To add the files, just right click on the project in
> the Solution Manager, click add, then click Add Existing Files.
>
> "timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yeah, I know. Like I said, I have the supporting files, but there's no
> > ".sln" file. What am I supposed to do with all the supporting files?

Don't
> > need the 'solution' file to run the app?
> >
> > "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > There is a link to the sample code that you can download on the top

> right
> > > side of the page.
> > >
> > > --
> > > I hope this helps,
> > > Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> > > http://Steve.Orr.net
> > > Hire top-notch developers at http://www.able-consulting.com
> > >

> > > "timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

sample

am

> How
> > > can

password
> be

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Go into IIS.
Find the folder.
Go into properties.
Click on the "Create" application button.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
http://Steve.Orr.net

"timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks. I put it in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\DemoFormsAuth, tried to run it and
> got the error message:
>
> Configuration Error

file
> required to service this request. Please review the specific error details
> below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
>
> Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as
> allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This

error
> can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an

application
> in IIS.
>
> Source Error:
> Line 19: "Forms", "Passport" and "None"
> Line 20: -->
> Line 21: <authentication mode="Forms">
> Line 22: <forms name="myform" loginUrl="login.aspx" />
> Line 23: </authentication>
>

> How do I correct this?
>

> "Jim Shelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If it has a vbproj or a cproj or can open it that way.
> >
> > If it has neither of these files then create a new project in vs.net and

> add
> > the files manually. To add the files, just right click on the project

in
> > the Solution Manager, click add, then click Add Existing Files.
> >
> > "timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Yeah, I know. Like I said, I have the supporting files, but there's no
> > > ".sln" file. What am I supposed to do with all the supporting files?

> Don't
> > > need the 'solution' file to run the app?
> > >
> > > "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > right

> sample

> am

..net.
> > How

> password
> > be

timmso

Thanks..that helps for that error. Now when I run it I get the error:

Configuration Error

Parser Error Message: File or assembly name System.Web, or one of its
dependencies, was not found.

Source Error:

Line 56: -->
Line 57: <httpHandlers>
Line 58: <add verb="*" path="*.vb"
type="System.Web.HttpNotFoundHandler,System.Web" />
Line 59: <add verb="*" path="*.cs"
type="System.Web.HttpNotFoundHandler,System.Web" />
Line 60: <add verb="*" path="*.vbproj"
type="System.Web.HttpNotFoundHandler,System.Web" />

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DemoFormsAuth\web.config Line: 58

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine
why the assembly 'System.Web' could not be loaded.

I can see line 58 in the web.config file. Thanks for your patience.

news:OCO1#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Go into IIS.
> Find the folder.
> Go into properties.
> Click on the "Create" application button.
>
> --
> I hope this helps,
> Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> http://Steve.Orr.net
> Hire top-notch developers at http://www.able-consulting.com
>

> "timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks. I put it in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\DemoFormsAuth, tried to run it

and
> > got the error message:
> >
> > Configuration Error

> file
> > required to service this request. Please review the specific error

details
> > below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
> >
> > Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as
> > allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This

> error
> > can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an

> application
> > in IIS.
> >
> > Source Error:
> > Line 19: "Forms", "Passport" and "None"
> > Line 20: -->
> > Line 21: <authentication mode="Forms">
> > Line 22: <forms name="myform" loginUrl="login.aspx" />
> > Line 23: </authentication>
> >

> > How do I correct this?
> >

> > "Jim Shelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > If it has a vbproj or a cproj or can open it that way.
> > >
> > > If it has neither of these files then create a new project in vs.net

and
> > add
> > > the files manually. To add the files, just right click on the

project
> in
> > > the Solution Manager, click add, then click Add Existing Files.
> > >
> > > "timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

no

> > Don't

top
> > > right

> > sample

What
> > am

> .net.
> > > How

> > password
> > > be

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

It really shouldn't be this hard. I wonder if your .NET framework is set up
correctly.
Are you able to run other ASP.NET web apps with no problem?
You may need to repair your IIS mappings.
To do this, run the following command:
aspnet_regiis.exe -i

Here's further information:

I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
http://Steve.Orr.net

"timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks..that helps for that error. Now when I run it I get the error:
>
> Configuration Error

file
> required to service this request. Please review the specific error details
> below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
>
> Parser Error Message: File or assembly name System.Web, or one of its
> dependencies, was not found.
>
> Source Error:
>

> Line 56: -->
> Line 57: <httpHandlers>
> Line 58: <add verb="*" path="*.vb"
> type="System.Web.HttpNotFoundHandler,System.Web" />
> Line 59: <add verb="*" path="*.cs"
> type="System.Web.HttpNotFoundHandler,System.Web" />
> Line 60: <add verb="*" path="*.vbproj"
> type="System.Web.HttpNotFoundHandler,System.Web" />
>

> Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DemoFormsAuth\web.config Line: 58
>
> Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine
> why the assembly 'System.Web' could not be loaded.
>

> I can see line 58 in the web.config file. Thanks for your patience.
>

> "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OCO1#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Go into IIS.
> > Find the folder.
> > Go into properties.
> > Click on the "Create" application button.
> >
> > --
> > I hope this helps,
> > Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> > http://Steve.Orr.net
> > Hire top-notch developers at http://www.able-consulting.com
> >

> > "timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Thanks. I put it in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\DemoFormsAuth, tried to run it

> and
> > > got the error message:
> > >
> > > Configuration Error

configuration
> > file
> > > required to service this request. Please review the specific error

> details
> > > below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
> > >
> > > Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as
> > > allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This

> > error
> > > can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an

> > application
> > > in IIS.
> > >
> > > Source Error:
> > > Line 19: "Forms", "Passport" and "None"
> > > Line 20: -->
> > > Line 21: <authentication mode="Forms">
> > > Line 22: <forms name="myform" loginUrl="login.aspx" />
> > > Line 23: </authentication>
> > >

> > > How do I correct this?
> > >

> > > "Jim Shelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> and
> > > add

> project
> > in

there's
> no

files?
> > > Don't

> top

> > > sample

> What
> > > am

> > .net.

> > > password

timmso

Yes, I am able to run anything else I create. Granted, they've been simple
apps, but I haven't had these problems before.

> You may need to repair your IIS mappings.
> To do this, run the following command:
> aspnet_regiis.exe -i

Ok, did that, but the same error occurs.

Is there anything else I can try?

news:eObSL$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > type="System.Web.HttpNotFoundHandler,System.Web" />
> >

> > Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DemoFormsAuth\web.config Line: 58
> >
> > Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to

determine
> > why the assembly 'System.Web' could not be loaded.
> >

> > I can see line 58 in the web.config file. Thanks for your patience.
> >

> > "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:OCO1#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Go into IIS.
> > > Find the folder.
> > > Go into properties.
> > > Click on the "Create" application button.
> > >
> > > --
> > > I hope this helps,
> > > Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> > > http://Steve.Orr.net
> > > Hire top-notch developers at http://www.able-consulting.com
> > >

> > > "timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Add a reference to System.Web.DLL
It should already be referenced but in your case it sounds like it might not
be for some reason.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
http://Steve.Orr.net

"timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, I am able to run anything else I create. Granted, they've been simple
> apps, but I haven't had these problems before.
>
> > You may need to repair your IIS mappings.
> > To do this, run the following command:
> > aspnet_regiis.exe -i

> Ok, did that, but the same error occurs.
>
> Is there anything else I can try?
>

> "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eObSL$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It really shouldn't be this hard. I wonder if your .NET framework is

set
> up
> > correctly.
> > Are you able to run other ASP.NET web apps with no problem?
> > You may need to repair your IIS mappings.
> > To do this, run the following command:
> > aspnet_regiis.exe -i
> >
> > Here's further information:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q306005
> >
> > --
> > I hope this helps,
> > Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> > http://Steve.Orr.net
> > Hire top-notch developers at http://www.able-consulting.com
> >

> > "timmso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Thanks..that helps for that error. Now when I run it I get the error:
> > >
> > > Configuration Error

configuration
> > file
> > > required to service this request. Please review the specific error

> details
> > > below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
> > >
> > > Parser Error Message: File or assembly name System.Web, or one of its
> > > dependencies, was not found.
> > >
> > > Source Error:
> > >

> > > Line 56: -->
> > > Line 57: <httpHandlers>
> > > Line 58: <add verb="*" path="*.vb"
> > > type="System.Web.HttpNotFoundHandler,System.Web" />
> > > Line 59: <add verb="*" path="*.cs"
> > > type="System.Web.HttpNotFoundHandler,System.Web" />
> > > Line 60: <add verb="*" path="*.vbproj"
> > > type="System.Web.HttpNotFoundHandler,System.Web" />
> > >

> > > Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DemoFormsAuth\web.config Line: 58
> > >
> > > Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to

> determine
> > > why the assembly 'System.Web' could not be loaded.
> > >

> > > I can see line 58 in the web.config file. Thanks for your patience.
> > >

> > > "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:OCO1#(E-Mail Removed)...

> it
> > > and

> > configuration
> > > details

as

> This

> vs.net
> > > and
> > > project

> > there's
> > > no

> > files?

> the
> > > top

> there

> file.
> > > What

message

> http://www.able-consulting.com

timmso

That didn't help, sorry. I can see the reference already there. However,
here is what I did. I started a new ASP.Net project. Then imported all of
the code from the dotnetbips website. I left alone the web.config
file/didn't overwrite it. Then I ran it and the authentication worked.

At least it's a start..now I can "play" with it. Thanks for your help.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...