Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Don't buy Micoshaft branded hardware - it won't work with Linux

Re: Don't buy Micoshaft branded hardware - it won't work with Linux

JohnTheGeek

On 2008-11-01, 7 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Don't buy Micoshaft branded hardware - it won't work with Linux.
>
> Instead buy more generic brands that works with more OSes.
> Save hours of grind getting things to work by checking
> web sites for harware compatibility.

I use MS and Logitech products with Mepis and they work flawlessly. My
mouse is a Logitech wireless unit and while I am not currently using an
MS keyboard, I have before with no issues. All the bells and whistles
didn't work, but who cares.

--
Do you twitter? http://twitter.com
Do you want to be a cranky geek? http://www.crankygeeks.com/

wisdomkiller & pain

JohnTheGeek wrote:

> On 2008-11-01, 7 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Don't buy Micoshaft branded hardware - it won't work with Linux.
>>
>> Instead buy more generic brands that works with more OSes.
>> Save hours of grind getting things to work by checking
>> web sites for harware compatibility.
>>

> I use MS and Logitech products with Mepis and they work flawlessly. My
> mouse is a Logitech wireless unit and while I am not currently using an
> MS keyboard, I have before with no issues. All the bells and whistles
> didn't work, but who cares.

I got a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse for free, no troubles with linux.
Did not take the time to assign all the extra keys, though.
No magic in (ab)using Microsoft branded hardware - you know, it is NOT built
by Microsoft, after all

elaich

JohnTheGeek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:geirs6$fi6$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

> I use MS and Logitech products with Mepis and they work flawlessly. My
> mouse is a Logitech wireless unit and while I am not currently using an
> MS keyboard, I have before with no issues. All the bells and whistles
> didn't work, but who cares.

He's talking specifically about computers that were designed for Vista, and
he's right. You also can't run any other form of Windows on them, because
the hardware is "Vista compatible" and the manufacturers agreed not to
write drivers for any other OS.

It was a rather lame ploy by Microsoft to try and force out not only Linux,
but to force Windows users to ditch XP. We all know how successful it was.