Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ntlworld. in thunderbird

ntlworld. in thunderbird

PWB

I am a virginmedia customer , but have been with them since they were
ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
download email messages in Thunderbird, although I can send and receive
ok in IE. I wonder if anyone in the group can tell me why. my smtp
setting is smtp.ntlworld.com and pop3 is pop.ntlworld.com TIA

Evan Platt

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 17:37:25 +0000, PWB <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am a virginmedia customer ,

I'm sorry.

>but have been with them since they were
>ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
>download email messages in Thunderbird,

A mail client... Good...

>although I can send and receive ok in IE.

IE is a web browser.

>I wonder if anyone in the group can tell me why. my smtp
>setting is smtp.ntlworld.com and pop3 is pop.ntlworld.com TIA

Verify your settings are correct. POP User name, password, pop server,
etc.

Bert Hyman

In news:nt0Pk.127648$(E-Mail Removed)2 PWB
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am a virginmedia customer , but have been with them since they were
> ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
> download email messages in Thunderbird,

What happens when you try?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Whiskers

On 2008-11-01, PWB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am a virginmedia customer , but have been with them since they were
> ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
> download email messages in Thunderbird, although I can send and receive
> ok in IE. I wonder if anyone in the group can tell me why. my smtp
> setting is smtp.ntlworld.com and pop3 is pop.ntlworld.com TIA

So your email program (Thunderbird) probably has incorrect settings.
(When you use Internet Explorer you are accessing the webmail site, so your
email program settings don't have anything to do with that).

Go to
<http://www.virginmedia.com/help/check/help-check.php?category=portal&app=helpemail&category=p ortal&app=helpemail>
and click on 'Cable' or 'Non-Cable' as appropriate and find the correct
details. I think they only give Outlook Express as an example, but you
shouldn't find it too hard to work out from that what the settings in
Thunderbird should be.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

PWB

Sorry I meant Outlook Express
Evan Platt wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 17:37:25 +0000, PWB <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I am a virginmedia customer ,

> I'm sorry.
>
>> but have been with them since they were
>> ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
>> download email messages in Thunderbird,

> A mail client... Good...
>
>> although I can send and receive ok in IE.

> IE is a web browser.
>
>> I wonder if anyone in the group can tell me why. my smtp
>> setting is smtp.ntlworld.com and pop3 is pop.ntlworld.com TIA

> Verify your settings are correct. POP User name, password, pop server,
> etc.

PWB

Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:nt0Pk.127648$(E-Mail Removed)2 PWB
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am a virginmedia customer , but have been with them since they were
>> ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
>> download email messages in Thunderbird,

> What happens when you try?

Nothing. it doesnt even gom through the motions of looking .

PWB

Whiskers wrote:
> On 2008-11-01, PWB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am a virginmedia customer , but have been with them since they were
>> ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
>> download email messages in Thunderbird, although I can send and receive
>> ok in IE. I wonder if anyone in the group can tell me why. my smtp
>> setting is smtp.ntlworld.com and pop3 is pop.ntlworld.com TIA

> So your email program (Thunderbird) probably has incorrect settings.
> (When you use Internet Explorer you are accessing the webmail site, so your
> email program settings don't have anything to do with that).
>
> Go to
> <http://www.virginmedia.com/help/check/help-check.php?category=portal&app=helpemail&category=p ortal&app=helpemail>
> and click on 'Cable' or 'Non-Cable' as appropriate and find the correct
> details. I think they only give Outlook Express as an example, but you
> shouldn't find it too hard to work out from that what the settings in
> Thunderbird should be.

They do only give OE, thats how I did get them from there and worked it out

why?

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 17:37:25 +0000, PWB wrote:

>I am a virginmedia customer , but have been with them since they were
>ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
>download email messages in Thunderbird, although I can send and receive

No error or status messages saying why?

Sending from TB?

>ok in IE. I wonder if anyone in the group can tell me why. my smtp
>setting is smtp.ntlworld.com and pop3 is pop.ntlworld.com TIA

Not even this has been updated for 4 years
http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/ge...nced_byservers
server settings & names
Please find below a list of blueyonder server names and addresses.

Just try finding the same page for NTL info and settings.

Selecting NTL as an email address for the Help Section
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/email/
Canít send or receive mails?

The mail settings won't have changed from the working ones in IE, and
you shouldn't need account info. Of course that depends on if you are
dial up / cable bb etc.

You could try the VM newsgroups, in no particular order

the 1 support hangout in
virginmedia.support.e-mail

virginmedia.users.self-help
virginmedia.discussion.e-mail

As ex TW/BY the settings have carried over without problems to many
apps. As long as 1 works on mail the others should as well.

Me

Evan Platt

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 19:23:32 +0000, PWB <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Sorry I meant Outlook Express

Ok, so if it works in OE but not Thunderbird, you don't have the
settings correct.

What is the EXACT error message you get?

David Marshall Lemcoe Jr.

PWB wrote:
> I am a virginmedia customer , but have been with them since they were
> ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
> download email messages in Thunderbird, although I can send and receive
> ok in IE. I wonder if anyone in the group can tell me why. my smtp
> setting is smtp.ntlworld.com and pop3 is pop.ntlworld.com TIA

Take screenshots of the settings in Thunderbird, please.

--
________
David M Lemcoe Jr.

Mozmail vs. Thunderbird... Axl Firefox 5 08-19-2003 07:29 PM
Thunderbird Bryce Hardy Firefox 1 08-12-2003 03:19 PM
Linking Firebird / Thunderbird jimm67(nospam) Firefox 0 07-06-2003 01:46 PM

Advertisments