Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Microsoft demonstrates new OS to replace Vista

Microsoft demonstrates new OS to replace Vista

cwdjrxyz

For details, see http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/te...ref=technology
..

Microsoft introduced what it claimed would be a slimmer and more
responsive version of its OS on Tuesday and the brand name Vista will
not be used for it. It will be called Windows 7.

The company also plans to introduce a Web-based version of its Office
programs, which is aimed at heading off a new wave of competitors.

The Windows 7 OS demonstrated is a yet incomplete version not yet at
the beta stage. The company did not have a date for sales of the final
version. Remembering the history of Vista development, I would not be
surprised if it is some time before a final version is for sale.

Nik Coughlin

"cwdjrxyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For details, see
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/te...ref=technology
> .
>
> Microsoft introduced what it claimed would be a slimmer and more
> responsive version of its OS on Tuesday and the brand name Vista will
> not be used for it. It will be called Windows 7.
>
> The company also plans to introduce a Web-based version of its Office
> programs, which is aimed at heading off a new wave of competitors.
>
> The Windows 7 OS demonstrated is a yet incomplete version not yet at
> the beta stage. The company did not have a date for sales of the final
> version. Remembering the history of Vista development, I would not be
> surprised if it is some time before a final version is for sale.

Actually expectation and all signs are that it will be released earlier
rather than later. They say that they're making better progress than
expected. Remember that it is essentially just Vista with some more time
spent polishing it, not a new OS. I saw a video of it booting next to a
Vista machine and it is much faster to start up. Less resource hungry as
well apparently. Other than that most of the changes I saw seem largely
cosmetic, with some UI streamlining ie things that used to take four of five
clicks to achieve can now be done in one or two. No big deal.

+mrcakey

"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:geacg0$fj1$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Actually expectation and all signs are that it will be released earlier
> rather than later. They say that they're making better progress than
> expected. Remember that it is essentially just Vista with some more time
> spent polishing it, not a new OS. I saw a video of it booting next to a
> Vista machine and it is much faster to start up. Less resource hungry as
> well apparently. Other than that most of the changes I saw seem largely
> cosmetic, with some UI streamlining ie things that used to take four of
> five clicks to achieve can now be done in one or two. No big deal.

The problem with Vista was that it was full of whistles and bells designed
to make the average home user go "oooh" when in fact what most people want
from an operating system is stability, compatibility and speed. If they
concentrated on that I'm sure there'd be a lot less anti-Microsoft feeling
in the air.

Given their previous track record on early releases, I'll not be upgrading
until the inevitable service pack to patch all the security holes they
missed comes out.

+mrcakey

Jani

On 29 Okt., 19:33, cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> For details, seehttp://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/technology/business-computing/29sof...
> .
>
> Microsoft introduced what it claimed would be a slimmer and more
> responsive version of its OS on Tuesday and the brand name Vista will
> not be used for it. It will be called Windows 7.

Maybe you get the Testversion here:
http://thepiratebay.org/