Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Leading zero

Re: Leading zero

Mayeul

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) a écrit :
> Can a valid Zip code have a leading zero?

Yes.

Actually, if you consider the question worldwide, a valid Zip code can
consist of absolutely anything you could write on an envelope and that
could be read and rewritten the same way by different people. Only
supporting unicode-encodable zip codes may be an acceptable limitation.

--
Mayeul

richard

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:27:00 +0100, Mayeul <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) a écrit :
>> Can a valid Zip code have a leading zero?

>Yes.
>
>Actually, if you consider the question worldwide, a valid Zip code can
>consist of absolutely anything you could write on an envelope and that
>could be read and rewritten the same way by different people. Only
>supporting unicode-encodable zip codes may be an acceptable limitation.

Technically speaking, in the USA a zero is a valid first character
with the zero designating most of the northeast section from NY to
Maine.

The only one that does not fit the pattern is 01001 because that is
where "Mr. Zip", the inventor lived.

The problem is, the OP has not yet learned how to apply the workings
of Excel properly. I have used several word processors and most of
them somewhere, have the capability of accepting leading zeroes and
even spaces. In general, the default setting appears to be four
characters and not accepting leading zeroes or spaces.

In short, RTFM and learn.

All leading tabs or all leading spaces - why isn't that enforced? John Nagle Python 4 08-07-2007 04:05 PM
RE: All leading tabs or all leading spaces - why isn't that enforced? Delaney, Timothy (Tim) Python 0 08-07-2007 03:50 AM
printf question, leading zero in E format? bobm2005 C Programming 4 06-08-2007 12:35 AM
add leading zero tshad ASP .Net 2 11-09-2005 04:43 AM
newbie - integer variable with leading zero for os.makedirs james Python 2 12-02-2003 06:43 AM

Advertisments