Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Speed connecting with wireless N

Speed connecting with wireless N

Jason

Hi everyone, I have a laptop with Wireless N and an access point that
supports wireless N, why when I connect to the access point does it only show
me connecting at 54Mbps? isn't wireless N suppose to be a faster connection?
or is it that the Windows XP built in software just does not show fast speeds
because it was not built to support wireless N? if this is the case am I
still getting the faster speed but Windows is just not showing it?

Juan Perez

Hi:

Which manfacturer is your router and your Laptop card?

To reach the full N speed, normally you need that the Wireless NIC card and
the router been the same manufacturer.

--

Un Saludo
Juan Perez

"Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone, I have a laptop with Wireless N and an access point that
> supports wireless N, why when I connect to the access point does it only
> show
> me connecting at 54Mbps? isn't wireless N suppose to be a faster
> connection?
> or is it that the Windows XP built in software just does not show fast
> speeds
> because it was not built to support wireless N? if this is the case am I
> still getting the faster speed but Windows is just not showing it?

Jason

Access point is a Cisco 1250 and the wireless card would be the built-in card
on Dell laptop which is an Intel

"Juan Perez" wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Which manfacturer is your router and your Laptop card?
>
> To reach the full N speed, normally you need that the Wireless NIC card and
> the router been the same manufacturer.
>
> --
>

> Un Saludo
> Juan Perez
>

> "Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi everyone, I have a laptop with Wireless N and an access point that
> > supports wireless N, why when I connect to the access point does it only
> > show
> > me connecting at 54Mbps? isn't wireless N suppose to be a faster
> > connection?
> > or is it that the Windows XP built in software just does not show fast
> > speeds
> > because it was not built to support wireless N? if this is the case am I
> > still getting the faster speed but Windows is just not showing it?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
In general the Speed of the connection and the capacity of each category of
the connection is supplied to Windows by the Drivers of the Wireless card.
If you Wireless Router, and Card are set correctly to work as Draft-N, and
they are fully compatible one with the other (there is No 802.11n standard,
there currently only Draft-N ver2.0). Your reduced Wireless "Speed" can be
a result of environmental electronic noise, Wireless is set to reduce
"Speed" when the Signal to noise ratio is too high. Try to change the
Wireless Channel that the Access point is working on.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone, I have a laptop with Wireless N and an access point that
> supports wireless N, why when I connect to the access point does it only
> show
> me connecting at 54Mbps? isn't wireless N suppose to be a faster
> connection?
> or is it that the Windows XP built in software just does not show fast
> speeds
> because it was not built to support wireless N? if this is the case am I
> still getting the faster speed but Windows is just not showing it?

Juan Perez

Hi:

I did not ask you but your systems (NIC+Router) are Draft N?

That means that to reach the maximun of 150Mbps and 300Mbps, been of
diferent manufacturers.