Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Signal suddenly very low or gone

Signal suddenly very low or gone

Kewser

Hi,

My Toshiba laptop (XP) is wirelessly connected to the Dell (XP) in the
adjacent room, via a Netgear router. My laptop contains a wireless card.
Distance between them is about 30 feet, with only a wall in between.

The signal has been "Excellent" for years, up until a few days ago, when it
suddenly was receiving very little signal, or no signal at all.

I've already read posts regarding this, and noted that the antenna should be
adjusted. HOWEVER, it has worked for years in its current state, so I don't
believe I should have to change any positioning of antennas or move the
computers to improve the signal.

Since no external variables have changed to cause the problem, I am
wondering if anyone knows of any internal problems or signal interference
that are known to cause these types of issues, and how they can be resolved.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Phillip Windell

"Kewser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since no external variables have changed to cause the problem, I am
> wondering if anyone knows of any internal problems or signal interference
> that are known to cause these types of issues, and how they can be
> resolved.

Microwave ovens

Cordless home phones

Someone nearby getting a "wireless" microwave based Internet service

Commercial Microwave communication equipment added in the area that passes
over your house.

Basically anything that operates between 2 and 5 Gigahertz is a potential
problem.
Now, I said "potential",...not absolute.

Nic in PC or the WAP is dying.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Try to put the Laptop next to the Router and see if it works better.
If it does, then you have a sudden increase in environmental noise. Try to
change the Wireless channel of the Router to find which works best for you.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Kewser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> My Toshiba laptop (XP) is wirelessly connected to the Dell (XP) in the
> adjacent room, via a Netgear router. My laptop contains a wireless card.
> Distance between them is about 30 feet, with only a wall in between.
>
> The signal has been "Excellent" for years, up until a few days ago, when
> it
> suddenly was receiving very little signal, or no signal at all.
>
> I've already read posts regarding this, and noted that the antenna should
> be
> adjusted. HOWEVER, it has worked for years in its current state, so I
> don't
> believe I should have to change any positioning of antennas or move the
> computers to improve the signal.
>
> Since no external variables have changed to cause the problem, I am
> wondering if anyone knows of any internal problems or signal interference
> that are known to cause these types of issues, and how they can be
> resolved.
>
> Thanks to anyone who can help.

Kewser

Yeah it works fine when its sitting next to the router. I can actually watch
the bars disappear as I carry my laptop away from the router. Could you let
me know where I should go to change the router's wireless channel?

Thanks!

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Try to put the Laptop next to the Router and see if it works better.
> If it does, then you have a sudden increase in environmental noise. Try to
> change the Wireless channel of the Router to find which works best for you.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Kewser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > My Toshiba laptop (XP) is wirelessly connected to the Dell (XP) in the
> > adjacent room, via a Netgear router. My laptop contains a wireless card.
> > Distance between them is about 30 feet, with only a wall in between.
> >
> > The signal has been "Excellent" for years, up until a few days ago, when
> > it
> > suddenly was receiving very little signal, or no signal at all.
> >
> > I've already read posts regarding this, and noted that the antenna should
> > be
> > adjusted. HOWEVER, it has worked for years in its current state, so I
> > don't
> > believe I should have to change any positioning of antennas or move the
> > computers to improve the signal.
> >
> > Since no external variables have changed to cause the problem, I am
> > wondering if anyone knows of any internal problems or signal interference
> > that are known to cause these types of issues, and how they can be
> > resolved.
> >
> > Thanks to anyone who can help.

Richard in AZ

The disk that came with the router should have a manual on it (most likely a pdf file).

"Kewser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Yeah it works fine when its sitting next to the router. I can actually watch
| the bars disappear as I carry my laptop away from the router. Could you let
| me know where I should go to change the router's wireless channel?
|
| Thanks!
|
| "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
|
| > Hi
| > Try to put the Laptop next to the Router and see if it works better.
| > If it does, then you have a sudden increase in environmental noise. Try to
| > change the Wireless channel of the Router to find which works best for you.
| > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
| >
| > "Kewser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news(E-Mail Removed)...
| > > Hi,
| > >
| > > My Toshiba laptop (XP) is wirelessly connected to the Dell (XP) in the
| > > adjacent room, via a Netgear router. My laptop contains a wireless card.
| > > Distance between them is about 30 feet, with only a wall in between.
| > >
| > > The signal has been "Excellent" for years, up until a few days ago, when
| > > it
| > > suddenly was receiving very little signal, or no signal at all.
| > >
| > > I've already read posts regarding this, and noted that the antenna should
| > > be
| > > adjusted. HOWEVER, it has worked for years in its current state, so I
| > > don't
| > > believe I should have to change any positioning of antennas or move the
| > > computers to improve the signal.
| > >
| > > Since no external variables have changed to cause the problem, I am
| > > wondering if anyone knows of any internal problems or signal interference
| > > that are known to cause these types of issues, and how they can be
| > > resolved.
| > >
| > > Thanks to anyone who can help.

Lem

Kewser wrote:
> Yeah it works fine when its sitting next to the router. I can actually watch
> the bars disappear as I carry my laptop away from the router. Could you let
> me know where I should go to change the router's wireless channel?
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Try to put the Laptop next to the Router and see if it works better.
>> If it does, then you have a sudden increase in environmental noise. Try to
>> change the Wireless channel of the Router to find which works best for you.
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>
>> "Kewser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My Toshiba laptop (XP) is wirelessly connected to the Dell (XP) in the
>>> adjacent room, via a Netgear router. My laptop contains a wireless card.
>>> Distance between them is about 30 feet, with only a wall in between.
>>>
>>> The signal has been "Excellent" for years, up until a few days ago, when
>>> it
>>> suddenly was receiving very little signal, or no signal at all.
>>>
>>> I've already read posts regarding this, and noted that the antenna should
>>> be
>>> adjusted. HOWEVER, it has worked for years in its current state, so I
>>> don't
>>> believe I should have to change any positioning of antennas or move the
>>> computers to improve the signal.
>>>
>>> Since no external variables have changed to cause the problem, I am
>>> wondering if anyone knows of any internal problems or signal interference
>>> that are known to cause these types of issues, and how they can be
>>> resolved.
>>>
>>> Thanks to anyone who can help.

Once you find the manual and learn how to change channels, choose either
channel 1, channel 6, or channel 11. For your first try, pick the one
of these three that is farthest away from the currently set channel.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Kewser

Changing the router's channel seems to have worked.

Thanks to all!