Velocity Reviews > General Discussion > Front Page News > Low Latency DDR2 800MHz versus 1,066MHz

Low Latency DDR2 800MHz versus 1,066MHz

Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
Ian's Avatar

Bit-Tech have a guide comparing low latency DDR2 800MHz memory, versus 1066MHz. A good read if you are interested in the performance difference:

Quote:
From time to time we read of community tales about trying to achieve stability with 4GB or 8GB of 1,066MHz memory, and we wonder is it really worth the hassle? It's much easier to tune down a CAS to 3 or 4 than it is to overclock the entire memory bus which may entail further voltage changes to the northbridge or voltage references, as well as Clock Skews to really dial in a completely stable system when attempting for 1,066MHz and above.

We've grabbed a performance-value motherboard from Gigabyte - the popular EP45-DS3R - and a set of 4GB G.Skill Pi Black memory at 800MHz CAS-4 and dropped in the usual Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 and our standard 64-bit benchmarking set to keep the results as comparable to other recent memory numbers as possible.
Read more here.