Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Leading zero

Re: Leading zero

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:

> I* have a zip code stored in my database. It has a leading zero (say
> 01906, for example). It is stored as a varchar with the leading zero.
> When I print it out on the page, the leading zero is there. (It is
> between a <td></td>).
>
> I also have an export to Excel routine that formats it in what is sent
> also between <td></td>. However, in Excel it appears without the
> leading zero (1906, for example).

> How can I force the leading zero to appear?

With zeros, you need to adopt quite a different mind set to the one
towards other numbers. You are too taken with existence, no doubt being
mislead by the numeral's undoubted presence. But the whole point of zero
is to mark an absence. In this case it is showing - as it were - by its
absence what its true purpose in life is.

Here, then, is not something that should be a problem for you but a
cause for celebration. The reason for celebration is the rarity of a
'coming out' (as it were) of the zeroes true nature. It has for too long
hidden and suppressed its nature.

--
dorayme

richard

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:31:44 +1100, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
>
>> I* have a zip code stored in my database. It has a leading zero (say
>> 01906, for example). It is stored as a varchar with the leading zero.
>> When I print it out on the page, the leading zero is there. (It is
>> between a <td></td>).
>>
>> I also have an export to Excel routine that formats it in what is sent
>> also between <td></td>. However, in Excel it appears without the
>> leading zero (1906, for example).

>> How can I force the leading zero to appear?

>With zeros, you need to adopt quite a different mind set to the one
>towards other numbers. You are too taken with existence, no doubt being
>mislead by the numeral's undoubted presence. But the whole point of zero
>is to mark an absence. In this case it is showing - as it were - by its
>absence what its true purpose in life is.
>
>Here, then, is not something that should be a problem for you but a
>cause for celebration. The reason for celebration is the rarity of a
>'coming out' (as it were) of the zeroes true nature. It has for too long
>hidden and suppressed its nature.

How very true. as the song goes, "Nothin from nothin leaves nothin,
and that means somethin if ya wanna be with me.".

However, in this case where a zero has meaning and substance as the
first character, then if it shows not, something is amiss with the
person's capability to understand how the simple functions of his
particular device works.

Could we then therefor not interperilate this demise with such trivial
minor incapacitating things as " R T F M "??

All leading tabs or all leading spaces - why isn't that enforced? John Nagle Python 4 08-07-2007 04:05 PM
RE: All leading tabs or all leading spaces - why isn't that enforced? Delaney, Timothy (Tim) Python 0 08-07-2007 03:50 AM
printf question, leading zero in E format? bobm2005 C Programming 4 06-08-2007 12:35 AM
add leading zero tshad ASP .Net 2 11-09-2005 04:43 AM
newbie - integer variable with leading zero for os.makedirs james Python 2 12-02-2003 06:43 AM

Advertisments