Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Who is in charged of the Hosts file in XP ??

Who is in charged of the Hosts file in XP ??

Penang

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH !!

My PC gave me lots of sh*ts lately. It didn't even allow me to log on
to Gmail !

After scanning the PC for virus / trojans and whatnots and not finding
anything, I searched the hosts file !

Long and behold, inside the hosts file, GOOGLE.COM IS ALL OVER THE
PLACE !!

But this is strange ! Very strange !!

I am the only user for this PC. I am the only one who have physical
access to this PC.

I could access Gmail without any problem at all, until last Friday,
when my PC started to act up.

Which means, someone, or something, must have put in GOOGLE.COM to the
Hosts file !

Can anyone please tell me who or what is in charged of the Hosts
file ?

And please tell me how to STOP that "something" or "someone" from
messing up the Hosts file of my PC again.

Thank you all !!

James Egan

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 02:39:29 -0700 (PDT), Penang <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>And please tell me how to STOP that "something" or "someone" from
>messing up the Hosts file of my PC again.

One way of reducing the chance of it happening again is to move it
away from its default location. Location is settable here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\DataBasePath

Jim.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Penang <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am the only user for this PC. I am the only one who have physical
>access to this PC.

If you run I.E. (activeX) the host file or any file can be edited on
command.
--

http://bomomo.com/

Unruh

Penang <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>AAAARRRRGGGHHHH !!

I agree. You posted all over the world including in linux groups and never
told us you were using Windows.

>My PC gave me lots of sh*ts lately. It didn't even allow me to log on
>to Gmail !

This may come as a surprize to you, but Windows machines are notoriously
prone to being cracked and malicious people taking it over and doing nasty
things.

>After scanning the PC for virus / trojans and whatnots and not finding
>anything, I searched the hosts file !

>Long and behold, inside the hosts file, GOOGLE.COM IS ALL OVER THE
>PLACE !!

>But this is strange ! Very strange !!

>I am the only user for this PC. I am the only one who have physical
>access to this PC.

Uh, but anyone in the world has network access to it.

>I could access Gmail without any problem at all, until last Friday,
>when my PC started to act up.

>Which means, someone, or something, must have put in GOOGLE.COM to the
>Hosts file !

>Can anyone please tell me who or what is in charged of the Hosts
>file ?

Anyone in th eworld who can get onto your computer.

>And please tell me how to STOP that "something" or "someone" from
>messing up the Hosts file of my PC again.

Run a decent operating system?

>Thank you all !!

Leo Kowalski

Unruh wrote:

> Penang <****@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>AAAARRRRGGGHHHH !!

> I agree. You posted all over the world including in linux groups and
> never told us you were using Windows.

Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,24hoursuppo rt.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_ad min,
alt.computer.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.h elp_and_support

Which is the "linux" group?

>>I am the only user for this PC. I am the only one who have physical
>>access to this PC.

> Uh, but anyone in the world has network access to it.

You do Bill? What's your secret?

Unruh

Leo Kowalski <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Unruh wrote:

>> Penang <****@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>AAAARRRRGGGHHHH !!

>> I agree. You posted all over the world including in linux groups and
>> never told us you were using Windows.
>>

>Newsgroups:
>microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,24hoursupp ort.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_a dmin,
>alt.computer.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp. help_and_support

>Which is the "linux" group?

I might have been wrong, but a post describing almost identical symptoms
was posted to the linux newsgroups-- someone who complained that
a ping to www.google.com gave hime 127.0.0.1 as the ip address.
I am afraid I assumed it was the same poster. If not I appologize and
suspect that there is some crack out there where the hosts file is being
munged for google.com.

>>>I am the only user for this PC. I am the only one who have physical
>>>access to this PC.

>> Uh, but anyone in the world has network access to it.

>You do Bill? What's your secret?

His IP address.