Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > When it says 16X on the packages of DVDs, does that mean it ALSO records at lower speeds?

When it says 16X on the packages of DVDs, does that mean it ALSO records at lower speeds?

Chris Tsao

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...2#availability

When it says on the label of DVD packages "16 X" and not "up to 16 X"
might that mean
that it only records at 16 X and so if your DVD recorder or the
software on your computer
is only meant for up to just 8 X, that this is the wrong DVD for it?

In the link above, in the Circuit City ad it says up to 16X, but HP
never says on their
packaging that it records at lower speeds. This is not perfectly
clear!

I suspect that I might have broken a DVD recorder with an HP disc that
says 16X on it
because after I put it in a DVD recorder that can only record up to 8
X, the recorder often
made pixels and the DVDs I made with it froze the picture and if my
memory serves,
when I tried to unfreeze the picture by fast-forwarding, it skipped
scenes.

The dog from that film you saw

"Chris Tsao" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...2#availability
>
> When it says on the label of DVD packages "16 X" and not "up to 16 X"
> might that mean
> that it only records at 16 X and so if your DVD recorder or the
> software on your computer
> is only meant for up to just 8 X, that this is the wrong DVD for it?
>
> In the link above, in the Circuit City ad it says up to 16X, but HP
> never says on their
> packaging that it records at lower speeds. This is not perfectly
> clear!
>
> I suspect that I might have broken a DVD recorder with an HP disc that
> says 16X on it
> because after I put it in a DVD recorder that can only record up to 8
> X, the recorder often
> made pixels and the DVDs I made with it froze the picture and if my
> memory serves,
> when I tried to unfreeze the picture by fast-forwarding, it skipped
> scenes.

no.
it's a max - not a compulsory.
you can write at 1 x speed if the desire so takes you - in fact recording
at slower speeds will usually be more reliable.
any errors on your disc are unrelated.

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
The dog from that film you saw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Chris Tsao" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...2#availability
>>
>> When it says on the label of DVD packages "16 X" and not "up to 16 X"
>> might that mean
>> that it only records at 16 X and so if your DVD recorder or the
>> software on your computer
>> is only meant for up to just 8 X, that this is the wrong DVD for it?
>>
>> In the link above, in the Circuit City ad it says up to 16X, but HP
>> never says on their
>> packaging that it records at lower speeds. This is not perfectly
>> clear!
>>
>> I suspect that I might have broken a DVD recorder with an HP disc that
>> says 16X on it
>> because after I put it in a DVD recorder that can only record up to 8
>> X, the recorder often
>> made pixels and the DVDs I made with it froze the picture and if my
>> memory serves,
>> when I tried to unfreeze the picture by fast-forwarding, it skipped
>> scenes.

>no.
>it's a max - not a compulsory.
>you can write at 1 x speed if the desire so takes you - in fact recording
>at slower speeds will usually be more reliable.
>any errors on your disc are unrelated.

Yes but .....

If the DVD burner/recorder is older, then there may be newer 16X media
that are not listed in its internal write-strategy table. If such a bad
disc-burner combination occurs, the burner may revert to a default write
strategy which gives suboptimal burns. This means discs do not track well
during playback.

That's why people update their DVD burner firmware, to keep up with newer
media and make sure that they are burned using the optimal speed and write
strategy.

Since standalone video DVD recorders rarely (if ever) get firmware updates
that affect the burner itself, it is safer to use slower (8X or less)
rated media because they are more likely to be in the burner's media table
and be burned correctly. There are very few, if any, new formulations on
8x media on the market, so an older recorder is more likely to "get it
right".