Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > OT Maybe. Intel S5000XVN Motherboard

OT Maybe. Intel S5000XVN Motherboard

Bob AZ

I have almost made a final decision to use an Intel S5000XVN
Motherboard for a computer that I will use for Digital Photography. I
will download the images from my DSLR, edit the images and then print
them on an Epson 4800 Printer. I also need to make a decision about
which processors.

Is there any forum where Intel S5000XVN boards are discussed? Is
anyone here using one for digital photography? I have looked at the
Intel site and Emailed them but there replies are not helpful.

Does the board really need an extended ATX case.

Thanks for any assistance.
Bob AZ

philo

"Bob AZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have almost made a final decision to use an Intel S5000XVN
> Motherboard for a computer that I will use for Digital Photography. I
> will download the images from my DSLR, edit the images and then print
> them on an Epson 4800 Printer. I also need to make a decision about
> which processors.
>
> Is there any forum where Intel S5000XVN boards are discussed? Is
> anyone here using one for digital photography? I have looked at the
> Intel site and Emailed them but there replies are not helpful.
>
> Does the board really need an extended ATX case.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
> Bob AZ

I took a look a brief look at the specs and though I'm sure it will be a
great setup...
It may be a more expensive system than you need. That's a server class two
cpu board.

You do not need two cpu's...because a *dual core* CPU will be sufficient to
run Photoshop
extremely well.

The board you are looking at probably has more features/functions than you
need .

For the amount of money you are willing to spend...
maybe the question you should be asking is:

Would I be better off with a quad core CPU?

Maybe someone here is lucky enough to run Photoshop on a quad core CPU could
comment further.

Charlie Russel - MVP

if it says it needs extended ATX, it needs it. Certainly most dual CPU
boards do.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Bob AZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have almost made a final decision to use an Intel S5000XVN
> Motherboard for a computer that I will use for Digital Photography. I
> will download the images from my DSLR, edit the images and then print
> them on an Epson 4800 Printer. I also need to make a decision about
> which processors.
>
> Is there any forum where Intel S5000XVN boards are discussed? Is
> anyone here using one for digital photography? I have looked at the
> Intel site and Emailed them but there replies are not helpful.
>
> Does the board really need an extended ATX case.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
> Bob AZ

Tom Lake

"Bob AZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have almost made a final decision to use an Intel S5000XVN
> Motherboard for a computer that I will use for Digital Photography. I
> will download the images from my DSLR, edit the images and then print
> them on an Epson 4800 Printer. I also need to make a decision about
> which processors.
>
> Is there any forum where Intel S5000XVN boards are discussed? Is
> anyone here using one for digital photography? I have looked at the
> Intel site and Emailed them but there replies are not helpful.
>
> Does the board really need an extended ATX case.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
> Bob AZ

Look on your ISP's News Server (or any one other than the Microsoft News
Server)
There's a group called intel.motherboards which should be able to help you.

Tom Lake

hobbitville

On 10/26/2008 4:04 PM, Bob AZ wrote:
> I have almost made a final decision to use an Intel S5000XVN
> Motherboard for a computer that I will use for Digital Photography. I
> will download the images from my DSLR, edit the images and then print
> them on an Epson 4800 Printer. I also need to make a decision about
> which processors.
>
> Is there any forum where Intel S5000XVN boards are discussed? Is
> anyone here using one for digital photography? I have looked at the
> Intel site and Emailed them but there replies are not helpful.
>
> Does the board really need an extended ATX case.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
> Bob AZ

Apple uses basically the same for their Mac Pro.
Xeon Penryn 2.8GHz 4 or 8-core. While CS3 doesn't benefit from 8-cores,
"Snow Leopard" 10.6 and CS5 for Mac will, and it does help
to have the 4-cores and memory to burn if you work on large files.

http://support.intel.com/support/mot...rver/s5000xvn/

Skulltrail Xeon Penryn or Nehalem based systems.
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15647

CS4 64-bit.
http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/a...look-20080923/

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37643/128/
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15571

roman modic

Hello!

"Bob AZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have almost made a final decision to use an Intel S5000XVN
> Motherboard for a computer that I will use for Digital Photography. I
> will download the images from my DSLR, edit the images and then print
> them on an Epson 4800 Printer. I also need to make a decision about
> which processors.
>
> Is there any forum where Intel S5000XVN boards are discussed? Is

Ohoho, you are planning to build an eight-core beast ... Here is
some information (they use two X5365 )

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/527/2/

CPU mentioned above is "Clovertown" - fortunately newer "Harpertown"
is supported (only FSB 1333 MHz, not 1600!):

http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-022346.htm
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=453491
Quote:
That's "fun" ... Intel's 5000x chipset, which equips the "old" Mac Pros DOES
support
Happertown CPUs (at least the ones with bus speed <= 1333 MHz) ...
For instance, if you look at intel's web site you'll see that they recently
provided an
update for their S5000XVN card, which uses similar hardware than the rev1
Mac Pro
.... and it supports Happertown CPUs

> anyone here using one for digital photography? I have looked at the
> Intel site and Emailed them but there replies are not helpful.

Here is a test of HP xw8600 workstation which compares
Harpertown vs. Clovertown, Vista vs. XP and Adobe Effects ...
http://www.studiodaily.com/main/tech.../pvr/9139.html

> Does the board really need an extended ATX case.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/397828.aspx
Quote:
Moral of the story for anyone who is considering this board: Do not buy
it unless you plan on buying Intel's server/workstation chassis as well.
It seems that those have some connectors for thermal sensors that regulate
the fan speeds. Why would a company sell a motherboard separately if it
was not going to work with other chassis...is beyond me.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...16321(ME).aspx
Quote:
Specifically designed for and validated with Intel® Workstation Board
S5000XVN
(Here is lovely Powerpoint presentation:
http://www.ezcom.co.kr/PDS/UndrArchSC5299.ppt

And finally:
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.3c05dbcc/3

HTH, Roman

P.S. How much RAM do you plan to install?

Bob AZ

> HTH, Roman
>
> P.S. How much RAM do you plan to install?

Roman

Initially I plan to install 8GB using 1 GB sticks.

I did notice an add in todays paper for some very good pricing for 4GB
sticks but I will stay with 1GB sticks. Were 2 and 4GB sticks readilly
available locally I would consider larger capacity sticks but for now
I will do with 1GBs.

Thanks to you and all the others for the replies. I will print out
everything and do more research and shopping.

Bob AZ

Charlie Russel - MVP

If you run a pair of quad core processors with 8 GB of RAM in 8 sticks,
you're going to set yourself up for bad performance. You're basically
assigning each processor only 1 GB, which won't give it a whole lot of
working room.

For a dual quad core system, I wouldn't run less than 16 GB to get full
utilization.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Bob AZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> HTH, Roman
>>
>> P.S. How much RAM do you plan to install?

> Roman
>
> Initially I plan to install 8GB using 1 GB sticks.
>
> I did notice an add in todays paper for some very good pricing for 4GB
> sticks but I will stay with 1GB sticks. Were 2 and 4GB sticks readilly
> available locally I would consider larger capacity sticks but for now
> I will do with 1GBs.
>
> Thanks to you and all the others for the replies. I will print out
> everything and do more research and shopping.
>
> Bob AZ

roman modic

Hello!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> You do not need two cpu's...because a *dual core* CPU will be sufficient
> run Photoshop
> extremely well.

But what if you work with 65 megapixel files?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...nnounced.shtml
Quote:
Also, 360MB 16 bit files are non-trivial to work with, to be sure.
Regards, Roman

Bob AZ

> If you run a pair of quad core processors with 8 GB of RAM in 8 sticks,
> you're going to set yourself up for bad performance. You're basically
> assigning each processor only 1 GB, which won't give it a whole lot of
> working room.
>
> For a dual quad core system, I wouldn't run less than 16 GB to get full
> utilization.

Charlie

I hade not made any firm plans for the processor(s) except that I felt
that the Quad Processors were overkill. Also that by limiting the
processors to Dual Processors I would not be pushing the capacity of
the board. (I did not think of memory size in relation to the amount
of memory per processor.)

I do have to make a decision as to which dual core processors. Intel
is not very defined about this and I need to be more informed. This
will take some time.

The response to my query has been much appreciated and I have read
most of the rererences. I am in the midst of my busy season with
photography and photo printing so I will not have a lot of time to get
a new system installed and still keep up with my photography.

So unless I get more response from Intel I will wait until the CES
show in January to talk to them before making my purchase.

Take care
Bob AZ