Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > third-party vpn clients that work with cisco (?)

third-party vpn clients that work with cisco (?)

tg

are there any (free) third-party vpn clients that work with cisco
hardware?
eg: I have a cisco 2600 router that can do the vpn server thing, but the
cisco vpn client is only available to (paying) registered users. The ms
windows in-house vpn client doesn't work (unless I'm doing something
wrong).
thanks for any pointers.

Doug McIntyre

"tg" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>are there any (free) third-party vpn clients that work with cisco
>hardware?
>eg: I have a cisco 2600 router that can do the vpn server thing, but the
>cisco vpn client is only available to (paying) registered users. The ms
>windows in-house vpn client doesn't work (unless I'm doing something
>wrong).
>thanks for any pointers.

There's so many different VPN technologies, they all get lumped into
one, but they are all so different.

If you are doing IPSec setups on the 2600, there are 3rd party IPSec
clients for most platforms. SafeNet makes a popular one. At $149 a seat,
it might make sense for you to get "registered" (ie. add SmartNet)
onto for your 2600 so you can obtain the Cisco IPSec VPN client.
Cisco even seems to have supported one feature of the SafeNet client
in some IOS 12.3T rev specificly. If you can even get that any more
for something as old as the 2600.

OOTH, you can do something else altogether to match up with the
built-in-windows VPN client, and setup your 2600 to be a PPTP server
or L2TP over IPsec server that will let you use your built-in windows
VPN client (depending on what versions of windows you are supporting).

tg

"Doug McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4904824e$0$60074$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> "tg" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

<snip>
> OOTH, you can do something else altogether to match up with the
> built-in-windows VPN client, and setup your 2600 to be a PPTP server
> or L2TP over IPsec server that will let you use your built-in windows
> VPN client (depending on what versions of windows you are supporting).

ok Doug thanks for your response