Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

Is there only one freeware hd sd card format recovery tool?

Donna Ohl

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:25:57 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:

> Any idea what to change in this Windows dd freeware backup of an SD card?
> c:\freeware\> dd if=\\.\f of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img

I figured out the syntax to recover the entire contents of an accidentally
formatted 4GB HD SD camera flash memory card using Windows dd freeware
(http://www.chrysocome.net/dd).

1. Locate the desired removable media
c:\> dd --list
\\.\Volume{4688f2aa-4195-11dc-d4a5-0016b6f93e11}\
link to \\?\Device\Harddisk1\DP(1)0-0+e
removeable media
Mounted on \\.\f:
2. Copy the formatted flash drive's previous content to your PC hard disk:
c:\> dd if=\\.\f: of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img

It's currently working now so I'll let you know if I've been able to
recover all the previous contents of the camera flash memory card, even
content long ago deleted.

Donna

Roger Hunt

In article <ge29er$s28$(E-Mail Removed)>, hwf <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 08:53:12 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
>
>> Hi Ray,
>>
>> Thank you so much for the dd "data definition" (aka "copy and convert")
>> formatted-flash-drive recovery advice.

>Hi Donna so good to see you.
>
>Not.
>
><plonk>

LOL
--
Roger Hunt

Donna Ohl

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:30:17 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
> It's currently working now so I'll let you know if I've been able to
> recover all the previous contents of the camera flash memory card, even
> content long ago deleted.

Hmmm.... Now that I've got the 1,983,620 KB flash card image on my hard
drive, how do we access the resulting file on Windows?

C:\tmp>dd if=\\.\f: of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img --progress
rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.
Written by John Newbigin <(E-Mail Removed)>
This program is covered by the GPL. See copying.txt for details
2,031,226,368
3967239+0 records in
3967239+0 records out

Donna Ohl

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:28:54 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
> C:\tmp>dd if=\\.\f: of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img --progress

Well I'll be. I don't know how or why it worked, but all I did was taken
another flash card and reverse the Windows Dd freeware command above.

That second flash card worked just fine with all the pictures intact. I
can't believe it worked but all is well now.

What I still don't know how to do is how to mount the first
c:\flashcard.img bit-for-bit copy of the flash card as a disk.

Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

Fred Sanders

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:00:29 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:

> Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

Ever end a post without a ??????
--
Anyone who says i suck Eastern Indian dick has never met my Irish lover
Kevin O'Neill. YUMMIE!

Franklin

On Sun 26 Oct08 17:30, hwf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:ge29er$s28$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 08:53:12 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
>
>> Hi Ray,
>>
>> Thank you so much for the dd "data definition" (aka "copy and
>> convert") formatted-flash-drive recovery advice.

> Hi Donna so good to see you.
>
> Not.
>
> <plonk>

Wise.

ray

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 08:53:12 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:

> On 26 Oct 2008 15:02:00 GMT, ray wrote:
>> No there is not only one. I would first use dd on a Linux system to
>> make a copy of the card memory. I'd then use one of several Linux
>> utilities to recover the data. Really quite an easy process - I've
>> recovered entire partitions from failed hard disk drives.

> Hi Ray,
>
> Thank you so much for the dd "data definition" (aka "copy and convert")
> formatted-flash-drive recovery advice.
>
> The original Dd version 0.3 convert and copy freeware seems to be here:
> http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/lin...ite/dd-old.htm
>
> I found the latest Windows Dd version 0.5 here:
> http://www.chrysocome.net/dd
>
> I also found a removable media recovery tutorial using that Windows
> freeware "dd" command, written by Intel, published October 8, 2008 at:
> http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/dd-for-windows
>
> The Intel recommended dd recovery steps for Windows appears to be: *
> Download dd for Windows
> * Get the name of the HDSD drive
> * Dump the HDSD flash card image to a hard disk or a USB pen drive
>
> My main problem will be getting the Windows dd freeware syntax correct:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)
>
> The manual page documents Windows Dd freeware syntax as: dd
> [bs=SIZE[SUFFIX]] [count=BLOCKS[SUFFIX]] if=FILE of=FILE
> [seek=BLOCKS[SUFFIX]] [skip=BLOCKS[SUFFIX]] [--size] [--list]
> [--progress]
>
> I'll have to try this and write up a tutorial for others to benefit.
>
> Thanks,
> Donna

FWIW: in Linux, the sytax I've used is:

dd if=/dev/sda of=filename conv=noerror conv=sync

noerror is needed to keep going past errors while sync is needed to fill
bad reads with nulls rather than just truncate, which would mess
everything up. Good luck.

ray

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:00:29 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:28:54 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
>> C:\tmp>dd if=\\.\f: of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img --progress

> Well I'll be. I don't know how or why it worked, but all I did was taken
> another flash card and reverse the Windows Dd freeware command above.
>
> That second flash card worked just fine with all the pictures intact. I
> can't believe it worked but all is well now.
>
> What I still don't know how to do is how to mount the first
> c:\flashcard.img bit-for-bit copy of the flash card as a disk.
>
> Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

I don't know how in MS, in Linux you do a simple mount command using the
loopback facility.

Donavan Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond

On 27 Oct 2008 15:24:53 GMT, ray wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:00:29 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:28:54 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
>>> C:\tmp>dd if=\\.\f: of=\\.\c:\flashcard.img --progress

>> Well I'll be. I don't know how or why it worked, but all I did was taken
>> another flash card and reverse the Windows Dd freeware command above.
>>
>> That second flash card worked just fine with all the pictures intact. I
>> can't believe it worked but all is well now.
>>
>> What I still don't know how to do is how to mount the first
>> c:\flashcard.img bit-for-bit copy of the flash card as a disk.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to mount a file as a removable disk in Winxp?

> I don't know how in MS, in Linux you do a simple mount command using the
> loopback facility.

Look, a fish!

ray

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:27:47 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:

> Is there only 1 freeware application to recover formatted HDSD cards?
>
> I accidentally pressed the format button on my Nikon and now the 4GB HD
> SD card says it has no images. I removed the HDSD flash card immediately
> after recognizing the problem (one photograph later).
>
> I need your help. So far, on WinXP, I failed to recover the formatted
> JPG photos using "Free Undelete", "PC_File Recovery", and "PCInspector
> File Recovery". Maybe
>
> Do you have a recommendation for the best freeware to recover the JPEGs?
>
> Googling, I find payware such as "Flash File Recovery"
> (http://www.panterasoft.com/) or shareware such as "Undelete SD Card"
> (http://undelete-sd-card.flashundelet...are4free.com/).
>
> But I can find only one freeware SD card recovery application named
> "Smart Recovery"
> (http://www.softwarepatch.com/softwar...recovery.html), which didn't
> work for me so I'd like to try another freeware flash card recovery
> tool.
>
> Is there only one freeware sd-card format recovery tool for digital
> photo recovery undelete? Do you know of another we can try?

Seems like you have things under control - if I was of any help, I'm glad.
FWIW I would suggest you download all the pictures from the new card and
then try to format both of them in the camera. Were you in the habit of
erasing photos on the card and then continuing? I have heard of cards
being corrupted with much file deletion happening over time - the cards
use an MS FAT file system, but considering that camera processors are
somewhat underpowered and on camera memory is somewhat limited, I
understand that they have less than a fully implemented driver. I've
always just taken picture, downloaded them all and then reforatted in the
camera and I've never had a problem.