Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Not Able to connect to my secured wireless network

Not Able to connect to my secured wireless network

balaji.balaraman@gmail.com

Hi All,

I have three laptops in my house. Two of them are able to connect to
my Secured Wireless Network but one of the laptops cannot (IBM Lenovo
X61 S). But this laptop does connect to unsecured wireless connections
without any problems.

My Secured Connection Specs: Network Authentification - Shared ; Data
Encryption - WEP

I used my other laptop and clicked on change advanced settings fr
wireless network to find the above specs..

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks///

Jim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> I have three laptops in my house. Two of them are able to connect to
> my Secured Wireless Network but one of the laptops cannot (IBM Lenovo
> X61 S). But this laptop does connect to unsecured wireless connections
> without any problems.
>
> My Secured Connection Specs: Network Authentification - Shared ; Data
> Encryption - WEP
>
> I used my other laptop and clicked on change advanced settings fr
> wireless network to find the above specs..
>
> Any help is appreciated...
>
> Thanks///

The encryption key in the wireless computers must match exactly the one in
the router. It can be quite difficult and tedious to achieve this goal.
The last time that I went through this, it took me three tries even though I
had the laptop next to the computer which manages the router.

Also, I would not use WEP encryption. As long as you are going through
this, you might as well use the latest encryption scheme.
Jim

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

have you checked if there is a new firmware for the wireless router or
driver for the NIC> Or this link may help.

Can't connect with security enabled
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=8330#8330

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> I have three laptops in my house. Two of them are able to connect to
> my Secured Wireless Network but one of the laptops cannot (IBM Lenovo
> X61 S). But this laptop does connect to unsecured wireless connections
> without any problems.
>
> My Secured Connection Specs: Network Authentification - Shared ; Data
> Encryption - WEP
>
> I used my other laptop and clicked on change advanced settings fr
> wireless network to find the above specs..
>
> Any help is appreciated...
>
> Thanks///

Barb Bowman

First, you should be using WPA2 for security or at least WPA.
You don't state what the wireless NIC is in the x61, but I'm pretty
sure it has the Intel 4965 a/b/g/n and Intel follows the 802.11n
draft 2.0 spec where WEP is optional and won't support WEP on an N
router. Is this your situation?

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
As motioned above WEP is not any more considered as good security.
However if at the moment one of your Network Devices is capable to work on
only WEP Level.
Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)