Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Hidden Shut down Feature XP & XP Pro.

Re: Hidden Shut down Feature XP & XP Pro.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, OZZY Boy wrote:

> Well here is a way Press the Home key, then do a Ctrl + Enter then
> selected with One push the right Arrow key Once, then hit Enter the
> computer should shut down
>
> When using the Ctrl + Enter keys be very careful not to push the enter
> key twice as that will put you into Stand By mode..

Wow. Can't you just SSH in from another machine and do "shutdown -h now"?

And they keep insisting Dimdows is so easy to use...

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, OZZY Boy wrote:
>
>> Well here is a way Press the Home key, then do a Ctrl + Enter then
>> selected with One push the right Arrow key Once, then hit Enter the
>> computer should shut down
>>
>> When using the Ctrl + Enter keys be very careful not to push the enter
>> key twice as that will put you into Stand By mode..

> Wow. Can't you just SSH in from another machine and do "shutdown -h now"?
>
> And they keep insisting Dimdows is so easy to use...

Not when there is no network on a computer.

I am still trying to figure out what practical use there is for a non
networked headless computer to be operating, doing something that might
be in the write cache so at risk of loss for just yanking the power.

Will Spencer

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:18:35 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, OZZY Boy wrote:
>
>> Well here is a way Press the Home key, then do a Ctrl + Enter then
>> selected with One push the right Arrow key Once, then hit Enter the
>> computer should shut down
>>
>> When using the Ctrl + Enter keys be very careful not to push the enter
>> key twice as that will put you into Stand By mode..

> Wow. Can't you just SSH in from another machine and do "shutdown -h now"?

I don't know I never turn it off.

> And they keep insisting Dimdows is so easy to use...

Maybe it is easier to use but art the same time people are getting dumber.

-ws

Key/English 08 - Change We Need.