Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Old PC on Windows 98 can't start

Old PC on Windows 98 can't start

DLee122298@aol.com

Sorry if a question similar to this has been already asked & answered
numerous times in the past, but I have an old (backup) PC (a Hewlett-
Packard Pavilion 8580C that I bought in 1999) that can't get started.
It had apparently been working fine the last time I used it a couple
days ago, but now it freezes whenever it's on the Windows 98 screen.
Whether I use the CTRL-ALT-DELETE buttons simultaneously, or turn the
PC off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it back on again, it just
keeps bringing up the Windows 98 screen and freezes there. Can anyone
please help? Any efforts to help will be well-appreciated, and any
that work will be *greatly* appreciated - thanks very much.

caveat

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry if a question similar to this has been already asked & answered
> numerous times in the past, but I have an old (backup) PC (a Hewlett-
> Packard Pavilion 8580C that I bought in 1999) that can't get started.
> It had apparently been working fine the last time I used it a couple
> days ago, but now it freezes whenever it's on the Windows 98 screen.
> Whether I use the CTRL-ALT-DELETE buttons simultaneously, or turn the
> PC off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it back on again, it just
> keeps bringing up the Windows 98 screen and freezes there. Can anyone
> please help? Any efforts to help will be well-appreciated, and any
> that work will be *greatly* appreciated - thanks very much.

Here a couple of things you could try . . .

1) open computer and reseat everything: plugs, cables, cards, SIMMs, etc.

2) swap the SIMMs and see if this changes anything

3) replace the battery on the motherboard and go into the CMOS and make sure
your system is set up correctly

4) try to boot from a CD or floppy and see if it boots all the way

Neil Green

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry if a question similar to this has been already
> asked & answered
> numerous times in the past, but I have an old
> (backup) PC (a Hewlett-
> Packard Pavilion 8580C that I bought in 1999) that
> can't get started.
> It had apparently been working fine the last time I
> used it a couple
> days ago, but now it freezes whenever it's on the
> Windows 98 screen.
> Whether I use the CTRL-ALT-DELETE buttons
> simultaneously, or turn the
> PC off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it back
> on again, it just
> keeps bringing up the Windows 98 screen and freezes
> there. Can anyone
> please help? Any efforts to help will be
> well-appreciated, and any
> that work will be *greatly* appreciated - thanks
> very much.

A couple of things are the most obvious.
Firstly, try and boot in Safe Mode (Press F8 during
POST)
If the machine boots then it's probably but not
certainly an issue with Windows itself.
If not, and you have more than one stick of (probably)
SDRAM, try swapping them out one at a time, that is,
remove the one in slot two and try and boot.
If the same symptoms persist then remove that stick
and replace it with the one that was removed in Slot
1.
If it's still not a goer the most likely culprit is
probably a dying hard disk.
Less likely, but still possible, is a faulty power
supply that is failing when trying to power up some
peripherals when Windows starts, if the machine will
start in Safe Mode then the power supply issue becomes
more likely.

sandy58

On Oct 25, 3:26*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Sorry if a question similar to this has been already asked & answered
> numerous times in the past, but I have an old (backup) PC (a Hewlett-
> Packard Pavilion 8580C that I bought in 1999) that can't get started.
> It had apparently been working fine the last time I used it a couple
> days ago, but now it freezes whenever it's on the Windows 98 screen.
> Whether I use the CTRL-ALT-DELETE buttons simultaneously, or turn the
> PC off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it back on again, it just
> keeps bringing up the Windows 98 screen and freezes there. *Can anyone
> please help? *Any efforts to help will be well-appreciated, and any
> that work will be *greatly* appreciated - thanks very much.

If you have installed anything since it last ran well, uninstall that
stuff as it may be "too modern" (incompatible with the win '9.

VOJEP

"sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Oct 25, 3:26 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Sorry if a question similar to this has been already asked & answered
> numerous times in the past, but I have an old (backup) PC (a Hewlett-
> Packard Pavilion 8580C that I bought in 1999) that can't get started.
> It had apparently been working fine the last time I used it a couple
> days ago, but now it freezes whenever it's on the Windows 98 screen.
> Whether I use the CTRL-ALT-DELETE buttons simultaneously, or turn the
> PC off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it back on again, it just
> keeps bringing up the Windows 98 screen and freezes there. Can anyone
> please help? Any efforts to help will be well-appreciated, and any
> that work will be *greatly* appreciated - thanks very much.

If you have installed anything since it last ran well, uninstall that
stuff as it may be "too modern" (incompatible with the win '9.

I had a similar hang-up after accepting a Windows Update.
It had something to do with my graphics card and I had to
take my pc to a computer shop for the remedy. VOJEP.

sandy58

On Oct 26, 6:39*pm, "VOJEP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Oct 25, 3:26 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Sorry if a question similar to this has been already asked & answered
> > numerous times in the past, but I have an old (backup) PC (a Hewlett-
> > Packard Pavilion 8580C that I bought in 1999) that can't get started.
> > It had apparently been working fine the last time I used it a couple
> > days ago, but now it freezes whenever it's on the Windows 98 screen.
> > Whether I use the CTRL-ALT-DELETE buttons simultaneously, or turn the
> > PC off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it back on again, it just
> > keeps bringing up the Windows 98 screen and freezes there. Can anyone
> > please help? Any efforts to help will be well-appreciated, and any
> > that work will be *greatly* appreciated - thanks very much.

> If you have installed anything since it last ran well, uninstall that
> stuff as it may be "too modern" (incompatible with the win '9.
>
> * * * * *I had a similar hang-up after accepting a Windows Update.
> It had something to do with my graphics card and I had to
> take my pc to a computer shop for the remedy. * * * * VOJEP.

In cases like that updating drivers can help, VOJEP.

VOJEP

"sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Oct 26, 6:39 pm, "VOJEP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Oct 25, 3:26 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Sorry if a question similar to this has been already asked & answered
> > numerous times in the past, but I have an old (backup) PC (a Hewlett-
> > Packard Pavilion 8580C that I bought in 1999) that can't get started.
> > It had apparently been working fine the last time I used it a couple
> > days ago, but now it freezes whenever it's on the Windows 98 screen.
> > Whether I use the CTRL-ALT-DELETE buttons simultaneously, or turn the
> > PC off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it back on again, it just
> > keeps bringing up the Windows 98 screen and freezes there. Can anyone
> > please help? Any efforts to help will be well-appreciated, and any
> > that work will be *greatly* appreciated - thanks very much.

> If you have installed anything since it last ran well, uninstall that
> stuff as it may be "too modern" (incompatible with the win '9.
>
> I had a similar hang-up after accepting a Windows Update.
> It had something to do with my graphics card and I had to
> take my pc to a computer shop for the remedy. VOJEP.

In cases like that updating drivers can help, VOJEP.

But it was a driver update that caused it to hang. VOJEP.

DLee122298@aol.com

Sorry that I forgot to thank everyone for their efforts to help. I
still haven't even gotten around to giving any of the advice a try yet
in getting my older (backup) PC fixed, as I've been busy with so many
various different things lately, but I should probably be doing
something about the problem this coming week. Thanks again.