Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python barcode decoding

Python barcode decoding

Robocop

Does anyone know of any decent (open source or commercial) python
barcode recognition tools or libraries. I need to read barcodes from
pdfs or images, so it will involve some OCR algorithm. I also only
need to read the code 93 symbology, so it doesn't have to be very
fancy. The most important thing to me is that it outputs in some
python friendly way, or ideally that it is written in python. Any
tips would be great!

Mike Driscoll

On Oct 24, 12:05*pm, Robocop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anyone know of any decent (open source or commercial) python
> barcode recognition tools or libraries. *I need to read barcodes from
> pdfs or images, so it will involve some OCR algorithm. *I also only
> need to read the code 93 symbology, so it doesn't have to be very
> fancy. *The most important thing to me is that it outputs in some
> python friendly way, or ideally that it is written in python. *Any
> tips would be great!

The closest thing I've heard of is the bar code stuff in reportlab.
This post talks a little about it:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pyt...ry/024893.html

And here's the official Reportlab site link: http://www.reportlab.org/downloads.html

Mike

Robocop

On Oct 24, 1:24*pm, Mike Driscoll <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 24, 12:05*pm, Robocop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of any decent (open source or commercial) python
> >barcoderecognition tools or libraries. *I need to read barcodes from
> > pdfs or images, so it will involve some OCR algorithm. *I also only
> > need to read the code 93 symbology, so it doesn't have to be very
> > fancy. *The most important thing to me is that it outputs in some
> > python friendly way, or ideally that it is written in python. *Any
> > tips would be great!

> The closest thing I've heard of is the bar code stuff in reportlab.
> This post talks a little about it:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pyt...ry/024893.html
>
> And here's the official Reportlab site link:http://www.reportlab.org/downloads.html
>
> Mike

Thanks for the tip!!

Robocop

On Oct 24, 1:24*pm, Mike Driscoll <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 24, 12:05*pm,Robocop<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of any decent (open source or commercial) python
> > barcode recognition tools or libraries. *I need to read barcodes from
> > pdfs or images, so it will involve some OCR algorithm. *I also only
> > need to read the code 93 symbology, so it doesn't have to be very
> > fancy. *The most important thing to me is that it outputs in some
> > python friendly way, or ideally that it is written in python. *Any
> > tips would be great!

> The closest thing I've heard of is the bar code stuff in reportlab.
> This post talks a little about it:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pyt...ry/024893.html
>
> And here's the official Reportlab site link:http://www.reportlab.org/downloads.html
>
> Mike

I appreciate the effort, but that looks to be for generation of
barcodes if i'm not mistaken. What i'm looking for is a barcode
DECODER, not an ENCODER (i'm currently using the purepostscript
barcode script for generation, very slick stuff), so i'm looking for
something along the lines of some barcode specific OCR libraries.

Marco Bizzarri

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Robocop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anyone know of any decent (open source or commercial) python
> barcode recognition tools or libraries. I need to read barcodes from
> pdfs or images, so it will involve some OCR algorithm. I also only
> need to read the code 93 symbology, so it doesn't have to be very
> fancy. The most important thing to me is that it outputs in some
> python friendly way, or ideally that it is written in python. Any
> tips would be great!

If you don't mind using a commercial Java lib, use
http://www.tasman.co.uk/bars/readme.html. I'ts not exactly cheap, but
it works very well, and support is good.

The only suggestion I can give you is: stay away from mixed
OCR/Barcode recognition software; usually they are much slower.

Regards

--
Marco Bizzarri
http://notenotturne.blogspot.com/

Wolfgang Draxinger

Robocop wrote:

> Any tips would be great!

The open source OCR software 'gocr' does also implement some 1D
barcode recognition. In my experience it does this better then
recognizing the text:
http://jocr.sourceforge.net/

I know about only one open source library for the DataMatrix 2D
code, but this certain library is excellent:
http://www.libdmtx.org/

Wolfgang Draxinger
--
E-Mail address works, Jabber: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), ICQ: 134682867