Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Online MCSE verification for employers?

Online MCSE verification for employers?

Bob Villa

Is there a way for an employer to verify that an applicant has current
Microsoft credentials, like online on Microsoft's website? Our HR person
left so I have to screen job applications myself. Every single applicant
claims to be MCSE certified, but when interviewed over the phone, they do
not seem to be able to grasp a simple scenario-type question. Paper
verification is out because a quick Google search brings up a plethora of
fake IT credentials for sale.

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"Bob Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way for an employer to verify that an applicant has current
> Microsoft credentials, like online on Microsoft's website?

Yes, but it requires the active consent of the applicant.

Have the applicant go to the MCP website and create a "Transcript Sharing
Code". Then you can view their full Microsoft certification transcripts.

For example, you can view my transcripts at:
https://mcp.microsoft.com/authenticate/validatemcp.aspx
Using the Transcript ID 818900 and the Access Code 'Lawr3nc3Garv1n'

> Every single applicant claims to be MCSE certified, but when interviewed
> over the phone, they do not seem to be able to grasp a simple
> scenario-type question.

This is not unusual; a number of people have done 'boot camps' or 'crammed'
or used 'brain dumps' to pass those exams, and will have zero retention two
weeks later.

Certs should only be used in the job application process as corroboration
that person's job skills experience is probably valid. Just as people can
become "paper certified", they can also claim experience in a job skill that
really doesn't exist.

But if somebody says they have five years experience working with Active
Directory =and= they hold an MCSE credential -- now you've got some likely
corroboration of actual job skills

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

catwalker63

"Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)" <lawrence@nospam> prattled ceaselessly in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> But if somebody says they have five years experience working with
> Active Directory =and= they hold an MCSE credential -- now you've got
> some likely corroboration of actual job skills

But if they make that claim and then can't answer simple questions about
Active Directory, they probably bought the cert on ebay and sat in a
cubicle next to the guy actually administering the network stapling papers
together for 5 years.

--
Catwalker
MCNGP #43

Daft_Togger Daft_Togger is offline
Junior Member

Well, guess you just need to vet people as best you can. If they get stuck on simple concepts, interview process is over and you move onto the next person.

However don't dismiss those who do not have any MCP's.....the best guy in my team does not have a single IT exam under his belt, but has years of experience and really does know his stuff....would be very obvious under interview too.

Granted you need to vet CV's....but worth looking at job experience too to narrow down on applicants.

Victor Asuquo

Of course there is. Ask every prospective employee to log on to thier mcp
members site and generate a transcript sharing code which they can send to
you as a link. On clicking that link, you can see their transcript which
will inlude current certification status and exams passed. Alternatively ask
for their mcp id and send to microsoft for verification or you can ask an
existing mcp in your organization to search for the details of this mcp
using the id on the mcp site.

We are very concerned about quacks falsely claiming certification status

Cheers

"Bob Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way for an employer to verify that an applicant has current
> Microsoft credentials, like online on Microsoft's website? Our HR person
> left so I have to screen job applications myself. Every single applicant
> claims to be MCSE certified, but when interviewed over the phone, they do
> not seem to be able to grasp a simple scenario-type question. Paper
> verification is out because a quick Google search brings up a plethora of
> fake IT credentials for sale.

PAJ

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:37:32 +0100, "Victor Asuquo"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Of course there is. Ask every prospective employee to log on to thier mcp
>members site and generate a transcript sharing code which they can send to
>you as a link. On clicking that link, you can see their transcript which
>will inlude current certification status and exams passed.

Really? Please show me yours.

Kline Sphere

>Really? Please show me yours.

his boyfriend won't like that.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

PAJ

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:01:59 +0000, Kline Sphere <.> wrote:

>>Really? Please show me yours.

>his boyfriend won't like that.

PMSL