Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Software pirates outraged

Software pirates outraged

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Microsoft's current Dimdows XP updates apparently causes unvalidated PCs to
revert to a black desktop pattern every 60 minutes. For some reason, this
has upset a lot of people in China.

<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081023-microsoft-lets-1000-blackouts-bloom-chinese-users-upset.html>

Nik Coughlin

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Microsoft's current Dimdows XP updates apparently causes unvalidated PCs
>> to revert to a black desktop pattern every 60 minutes. For some reason,
>> this has upset a lot of people in China.
>>

> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081023-microsoft-lets-1000-blackouts-bloom-chinese-users-upset.html>
>
> Tough I say. I think if Microsoft can 100% identify the installations as
> being pirated, then they should prevent them from working (or seriously
> disable them in some way).

No no no no no. They will never have it at 100%. I've had too many things
go wrong with software that I legitimately paid for because of crap like
this to ever support such nonsense.

Mutlley

Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Microsoft's current Dimdows XP updates apparently causes unvalidated PCs
>> to revert to a black desktop pattern every 60 minutes. For some reason,
>> this has upset a lot of people in China.
>>

><http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081023-microsoft-lets-1000-blackouts-bloom-chinese-users-upset.html>
>
>Tough I say. I think if Microsoft can 100% identify the installations as
>being pirated, then they should prevent them from working (or seriously
>disable them in some way).

And to get a legit version where??

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gdrga0$pdd$(E-Mail Removed)>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

> "Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
>> Tough I say. I think if Microsoft can 100% identify the installations as
>> being pirated, then they should prevent them from working (or seriously
>> disable them in some way).

> No no no no no. They will never have it at 100%. I've had too many
> things go wrong with software that I legitimately paid for because of crap
> like this to ever support such nonsense.

I'm with Allistar. Let them enforce their "intellectual property rights" all
they want. The more draconian they act, and they more they annoy their
customers, the more attractive Free Software becomes.

Gordon

On 2008-10-24, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> Microsoft's current Dimdows XP updates apparently causes unvalidated PCs
>>> to revert to a black desktop pattern every 60 minutes. For some reason,
>>> this has upset a lot of people in China.
>>>

>><http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081023-microsoft-lets-1000-blackouts-bloom-chinese-users-upset.html>
>>
>>Tough I say. I think if Microsoft can 100% identify the installations as
>>being pirated, then they should prevent them from working (or seriously
>>disable them in some way).

> And to get a legit version where??

On a Netbook. Try to keep up eh

Nicolaas Hawkins

On 24 Oct 2008 07:42:52 GMT, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

> On 2008-10-24, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>><http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081023-microsoft-lets-1000-blackouts-bloom-chinese-users-upset.html>
>>>
>>>Tough I say. I think if Microsoft can 100% identify the installations as
>>>being pirated, then they should prevent them from working (or seriously
>>>disable them in some way).

>> And to get a legit version where??

> On a Netbook. Try to keep up eh

Hasn't been up in the last twenty years...

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Microsoft's current Dimdows XP updates apparently causes unvalidated PCs to
> revert to a black desktop pattern every 60 minutes. For some reason, this
> has upset a lot of people in China.
>
> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081023-microsoft-lets-1000-blackouts-bloom-chinese-users-upset.html>

Let Microsoft go ahead with it. If so many are pirating Windows
then they've only got themselves to blame. Even a pro-Linux user
like myself is not above buying a legit Vista to install on this
computer I'm selling.

It may encourage more users to try a Linux distro, and several
already exist that cater for Chinese language.

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

Mutlley

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)z (Bruce Sinclair)
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, OZZY Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 16:50:49 +1300, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(snip)
>
>>You have to By Vista..

>I regularly pass by vista. A sane choice I agree.
>
>>Its a lock in..

>.. and that's one of the best reasons why it's a bad choice

I spent allot of time last weekend looking for a laptop for wifey. My
criteria was it had to be WinXP, hers that it did not have a gloss
screen. Found both at PC Tech in a Toshiba L300 laptop. This was the
only WinXP laptop that I could find anywhere..

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) nz (Bruce Sinclair)
>wrote:
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, OZZY Boy

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 16:50:49 +1300, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>(snip)
>>>You have to By Vista..

>>I regularly pass by vista. A sane choice I agree.
>>>Its a lock in..

>>.. and that's one of the best reasons why it's a bad choice

>I spent allot of time last weekend looking for a laptop for wifey. My
>criteria was it had to be WinXP, hers that it did not have a gloss
>screen. Found both at PC Tech in a Toshiba L300 laptop. This was the
>only WinXP laptop that I could find anywhere..

Yeah ... it's getting harder. My choice (for a while now for home) has been
linux. Does everything I want and more importantly, nothing that I don't.
That said, other half recently bought a vista laptop, then spent days trying
to get the DVD player working.