Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Wither DTS (on regular DVDs) ??

Wither DTS (on regular DVDs) ??

K. B.

It seems to me DTS soundtracks aren't being used very often
on new regular DVD releases (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom
of the Crystal Skull for example, even with the involvement
of Steven Spielberg, a DTS investor), why?

Kirk Bayne
alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
<http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm>

whosbest54

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
hotmail.com@lis2lis2 says...

>It seems to me DTS soundtracks aren't being used very often
>on new regular DVD releases (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom
>of the Crystal Skull for example, even with the involvement
>of Steven Spielberg, a DTS investor), why?

For many years I have rarely, if ever, seen a DTS track on a Hollywood
movie DVD. Concert DVDs are another story.

Why? The following come to mind:

- Additional bytes used on the DVD that can be used for video, including
features.

- Not all DVD players will play DTS soundtracks.

- Cost of licensing the DTS track, if necessary.

- Lack of any acceptable, scientific A/B double blind tests to show that
a DTS 5.1 sounds better than a DD 5.1 track for typical content. On many
systems, a listener would be hard pressed to hear the difference where
the mix is identical, except the DTS track is often louder.

whosbest54

http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/

http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

zoltan47

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:45:15 GMT, K. B. <hotmail.com@lis2lis2> wrote:

>It seems to me DTS soundtracks aren't being used very often
>on new regular DVD releases (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom
>of the Crystal Skull for example, even with the involvement
>of Steven Spielberg, a DTS investor), why?
>
>Kirk Bayne
>alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
><http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm>

DTS support from Warner and Paramount has been minimal at best. The
only Warner DTS DVDs I can recall at the moment were the Lethal Weapon
Director's Cut DVDs, and for Paramount it was the Jack Ryan (e.g.,
Hunt for Red October) discs. There may have been more, but as I said
that's all I can recall right now.

Has Sony/Columbia every released a DTS disc? I can't think of any
right now.

Robo-man

"whosbest54" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4900b82c$0$31746$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> hotmail.com@lis2lis2 says...

Plus, I don't think that 'George Lucas' has ever had a 'DTS' track on any of
his DVD releases. You have to remember that old 'George' is behind the times
technology wise now (see THX certified DVD movies).

***I now avoid DVDs that are 'THX' certified like the plague.***

> - Lack of any acceptable, scientific A/B double blind tests to show that
> a DTS 5.1 sounds better than a DD 5.1 track for typical content. On many
> systems, a listener would be hard pressed to hear the difference where
> the mix is identical, except the DTS track is often louder.

I really have to disagree with that.

I have an *inexpensive* surround system that runs through my stereo
receiver, and the difference between the two is night and day with 'DTS'
sounding a whole lot better.

BlueBuyYoo

Robo-man wrote:
> "whosbest54" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4900b82c$0$31746$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> hotmail.com@lis2lis2 says...

> Plus, I don't think that 'George Lucas' has ever had a 'DTS' track on any of
> his DVD releases. You have to remember that old 'George' is behind the times
> technology wise now (see THX certified DVD movies).
>
> ***I now avoid DVDs that are 'THX' certified like the plague.***
>
>> - Lack of any acceptable, scientific A/B double blind tests to show that
>> a DTS 5.1 sounds better than a DD 5.1 track for typical content. On many
>> systems, a listener would be hard pressed to hear the difference where
>> the mix is identical, except the DTS track is often louder.

> I really have to disagree with that.
>
> I have an *inexpensive* surround system that runs through my stereo
> receiver, and the difference between the two is night and day with 'DTS'
> sounding a whole lot better.

I have a decent sound system and the D-Day battle scene in the DTS
version of Saving Private Ryan is absolutely incredible.

FA: DTS ANACONDA Superbit, Factory-Sealed DEEP RISING dvds, DTS CARLITO'S WAY ld J Rusnak DVD Video 0 04-11-2006 02:30 AM
The Jackal (1998) DTS vs non-DTS Aphelion DVD Video 2 04-07-2005 01:44 AM
Wither Date And Time Picker For Mobile Devices? A. Shiraz ASP .Net Mobile 0 07-03-2004 01:45 PM
Wither JMS? Michael Benveniste Java 3 06-11-2004 12:41 PM
Re: Matrix DTS and Matrix 2 DTS? PeterTHX DVD Video 0 08-03-2003 05:46 AM

Advertisments