Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon G10, SX10 IS and SX1 IS

Canon G10, SX10 IS and SX1 IS

aniramca@gmail.com

I sometime wonder on the targeted market for Canon in this upper P&S
category. I assume that the G10 tries to follow the G series camera
users (short range zoom P&S to compete with Nikon P6000 and Lumix
LX3), and the SX10 IS and SX1 IS are aimed for the S5 IS enthusiasts
(long range zoom P&S to compete with Lumix FZ28, Sony H_50, Niukon P80
and Fuji S1000fd).
I still do not understand why they did not choose the name of S7 IS or
S9 IS, but decided to use the SX series. I was almost fooled that the
SX series are the cheap camera line by Canon (SX100s that are sold at
Walmart).
Then, there is confusion for the SX10 IS (CCD sensor) vs. SX1 IS (CMOS
sensor). Will the SX1 IS be intended for movie/photo camera hybrid? I
don;t know if Canon does this on purpose to confuse the customers, or
they just do not think ahead.
I thought the S5IS series has been successful. Why change to the SX
name?
I am curious to know the distribution of buyers between the G series
and the S series (G7/9/10 vs S53 IS/S5 IS). They must be in a tight
market,

ASAAR

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:47:48 -0700 (PDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I thought the S5IS series has been successful. Why change
> to the SX name?

Maybe the 'X' indicates 'eXclude', since the new models don't
appear to allow the use of add-on filters or lens adapters.

*

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I still do not understand why they did not choose the name of S7 IS or
> S9 IS, but decided to use the SX series. I was almost fooled ...

To understand the inner workings of a marketing person, is to enter a dark
scary realm of no return. Marketing people are the scary evil larva of
Political Spin Doctors...

Dudley Hanks

"*" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:gdpv08$gc3$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I still do not understand why they did not choose the name of S7 IS or
>> S9 IS, but decided to use the SX series. I was almost fooled ...

> To understand the inner workings of a marketing person, is to enter a dark
> scary realm of no return. Marketing people are the scary evil larva of
> Political Spin Doctors...

Is one letter worth so much paranoia?

Don't Worry, Be Happy,
Dudley