Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > termination reason 412 with cisco vpn client

termination reason 412 with cisco vpn client

sali

using win/xp and cisco vpn client ver 4.80 to connect remote offices [dozen
of them] into corporate network, corporate gateway is some "asa" device,
don't know exactly. the internet connection is realised as adsl, mostly as
1024/192

problem is that on some locations remote user after 15-20 minutes of being
connected gets alert:
---
secure vpn connection terminated locally by the client
reason 412: the remote peer is no longer responding
---

on these faulty locations, sometimes, but unfortunately quite rare, the
connection alives for longer period.

this happens even in the middle of ftp transfer [so there is no "iddle"
connection], on the network monitor [task manager] i see that bytes flow
simply falls to zero, and after minute-two, connection breaks. it is only
the vpn connection that breaks, the internet connection stays fully
available.

this is not a big problem if user may finish his task inside time frame of
15-20 minutes, after vpn breaks, he starts new, perform next task and so on.
problem is if connection breaks before user succeeds to finish his task in
that limited time frame, since then he has to start from the beginning.

there is one suspicious condition:
this mostly happens if the adsl gateway is configured as "router" [internet
is allways "on-line", user just needs to start cisco vpn], and there are few
computers on local lan, each of them having cisco vpn client, and each of
them breaks after 15-20 minutes after being started, so not on the same
time, but counting from the moment they were started.
if the adsl gateway is configured as "bridge" [user first needs to initiate
adsl connection, after that to start cisco vpn], this breaking is not
reported [as far as i know], and cisco connection may stay alive for whole
day long

so, i dont think there is some firewall problem, or trivial
misconfiguration, since cisco vpn *allways* starts, there is a good amount
of network traffic passed, but breaks after 15-20 minutes

why should cisco vpn connection break if started over "routed" adsl?

is there any experience, or suggestion something i could additionaly check
at these remote offices?

thnx

Trendkill

On Oct 22, 2:50*am, "sali" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> using win/xp and cisco vpn client ver 4.80 to connect remote offices [dozen
> of them] into corporate network, corporate gateway is some "asa" device,
> don't know exactly. the internet connection is realised as adsl, mostly as
> 1024/192
>
> problem is that on some locations remote user after 15-20 minutes of being
> connected gets alert:
> ---
> secure vpn connection terminated locally by the client
> reason 412: the remote peer is no longer responding
> ---
>
> on these faulty locations, sometimes, but unfortunately quite rare, the
> connection alives for longer period.
>
> this happens even in the middle of ftp transfer [so there is no "iddle"
> connection], on the network monitor [task manager] i see that bytes flow
> simply falls to zero, and after minute-two, connection breaks. it is only
> the vpn connection that breaks, the internet connection stays fully
> available.
>
> this is not a big problem if user may finish his task inside time frame of
> 15-20 minutes, after vpn breaks, he starts new, perform next task and so on.
> problem is if connection breaks before user succeeds to finish his task in
> that limited time frame, since then he has to start from the beginning.
>
> there is one suspicious condition:
> this mostly happens if the adsl gateway is configured as "router" [internet
> is allways "on-line", user just needs to start cisco vpn], and there are few
> computers on local lan, each of them having cisco vpn client, and each of
> them breaks after 15-20 minutes after being started, so not on the same
> time, but counting from the moment they were started.
> if the adsl gateway is configured as "bridge" [user first needs to initiate
> adsl connection, after that to start cisco vpn], this breaking is not
> reported [as far as i know], and cisco connection may stay alive for whole
> day long
>
> so, i dont think there is some firewall problem, or trivial
> misconfiguration, since cisco vpn *allways* starts, there is a good amount
> of network traffic passed, but breaks after 15-20 minutes
>
> why should cisco vpn connection break if started over "routed" adsl?
>
> is there any experience, or suggestion something i could additionaly check
> at these remote offices?
>
> thnx

Sounds like a provider problem. Are any users in the office
experiencing loss of internet connectivity? If they are, and you can
correlate those times as the same as those who lose VPNs, then that
could be your issue. Remember that web traffic is much more resilient
since its tcp and will simply retransmit, but in the case of a VPN
tunnel, it is much more finicky. If the connection drops, the tunnel
will too. I would look into setting up some pings to external sites
to see if/when you are getting drops, and how that matches up with the
vpn issues.

Gary

Trendkill wrote:

> Remember that web traffic is much more resilient since its tcp and
> will simply retransmit, but in the case of a VPN tunnel, it is much
> more finicky. If the connection drops, the tunnel will too.

I've seen similar behavior when users have used the VPN client from
wireless LANs at their home office. We tell them to switch to a wired
connection if they want reliable access to the corp LAN.

-Gary