Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Eclipse won't rebuild

Eclipse won't rebuild

Dancing Fingers

Hey guys,
I've been working on several Tomcat projects, on Linux and Windows,
and almost every time Eclipse stops rebuilding the files, especially
my support beans. Recently, I got the classic "The value for the
useBean class attribute com.bean.IDHandler" errors even though the
bean was in the src file. What I've been doing is creating a new
project, importing the source files and everything works fine. This
is getting old.

Is this my bad luck or is there an easy trick?

Thanks.

Chris

Tom Anderson

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Dancing Fingers wrote:

> I've been working on several Tomcat projects, on Linux and Windows, and
> almost every time Eclipse stops rebuilding the files, especially my
> support beans. Recently, I got the classic "The value for the useBean
> class attribute com.bean.IDHandler" errors even though the bean was in
> the src file. What I've been doing is creating a new project, importing
> the source files and everything works fine. This is getting old.
>
> Is this my bad luck or is there an easy trick?

Have you made all the requisite sacrifices to the Old Gods?

Our local trick is closing (without deleting) and then reopening the
project. That seems to trigger a more thorough rebuilding than ordering a
refresh, and it only takes a few clicks.

Making a manual edit to the .classpath file, saving it, undoing the
change, and saving it again also helps sometimes. Possibly not in your
case.

tom

--
No Hype Just Science

Andreas Leitgeb

Tom Anderson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Have you made all the requisite sacrifices to the Old Gods?
>
> Our local trick is closing (without deleting) and then reopening the
> project. That seems to trigger a more thorough rebuilding than ordering a
> refresh, and it only takes a few clicks.
>
> Making a manual edit to the .classpath file, saving it, undoing the
> change, and saving it again also helps sometimes. Possibly not in your
> case.

Despite all the luxury of IDEs, reading of issues like that of the OP and
then reading solutions like that are what makes me happy with vim

I prefer tools that I can rely on. vim probably also isn't bug-free,
but I didn't stumble over any of it's hidden bugs for ages.

Lew

Dancing Fingers wrote:
> Recently, I got the classic "The value for the
> useBean class attribute com.bean.IDHandler" errors even though the

Two questions out of curiosity.

What exactly is the error message? I have no idea based on what you
told us. How about a copy-and-paste of the actual message, hm?

How in blazes would this error be considered "classic"?

--
Lew

Dancing Fingers

On Oct 22, 12:01 pm, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Dancing Fingers wrote:
> > Recently, I got the classic "The value for the
> > useBean class attribute com.bean.IDHandler" errors even though the

> Two questions out of curiosity.
>
> What exactly is the error message? I have no idea based on what you
> told us. How about a copy-and-paste of the actual message, hm?
>
> How in blazes would this error be considered "classic"?
>
> --
> Lew

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /saleV.jsp(14,0) The value for the
useBean class attribute com.bean.IDHandler is invalid.

org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jsp Error(DefaultErrorHandler.java:
40)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatc h(ErrorDispatcher.java:
407)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspErro r(ErrorDispatcher.java:
14
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Generator
$GenerateVisitor.visit(Generator.java:1200)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$UseBean.accept(Nod e.java:1160)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Nodes.visit(Node.j ava:2343)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Visitor.visitBody( Node.java:
2393)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Visitor.visit(Node .java:2399)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Root.accept(Node.j ava:489)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Nodes.visit(Node.j ava:2343)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Generator.generate(Gene rator.java:
3372)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(C ompiler.java:
19
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compil er.java:314)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compil er.java:294)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compil er.java:281)

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(Js pCompilationContext.java:
566)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.servic e(JspServletWrapper.java:
317)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFil e(JspServlet.java:
337)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspSe rvlet.java:
266)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:803)

I've seen this often enough to know that Tomcat can't find the bean.
I've fixed it many times by including the source, Eclipse -- usually
builds it in the build directory and I move on. It's also been my
experience that Sooner or later Eclipse quits building from the source
file over time. I was thinking may be some sort of .init file gets
corrupted.

Thanks.
Chris

Modify JSP then test changes right a way w/o rebuild in Eclipse Jimmy Java 6 06-05-2007 03:24 AM
Weekend DC rebuild James MCSE 29 09-19-2005 04:18 PM
Use .NET DLL from VB6 app -> broken references on rebuild? Gary McGill ASP .Net 9 12-06-2004 03:10 PM
how to force Mozilla 1.7 to rebuild all email index/summary files? Marvin Glenn, ASNN Firefox 1 06-23-2004 11:08 PM
aspx page changes not picked up by debugger unless do "Rebuild Solution" Bennett Haselton ASP .Net 5 08-19-2003 06:06 PM

Advertisments