Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Convert xml to xls?

Convert xml to xls?

Jie

Hi all,

does anyone know about an open-source tool or method that can convert
a certain xml file to a spreadsheet (e.g. xls)? Can one import xml
data in the OpenOffice program Calc? The problem is that the original
xml file can be very long and the digit precision of some data fields
is strictly required. Thanks a lot!

Jie

Hermann Peifer

On Oct 21, 3:16*pm, Jie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know about an open-source tool or method that can convert
> a certain xml file to a spreadsheet (e.g. xls)? Can one import xml
> data in the OpenOffice program Calc? The problem is that the original
> xml file can be very long and the digit precision of some data fields
> is strictly required. Thanks a lot!
>
> Jie

One idea would be to transform the XML document into a csv file and
import the csv file into your favourite spreadsheet application.

Hermann

Peter Flynn

Jie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know about an open-source tool or method that can convert
> a certain xml file to a spreadsheet (e.g. xls)? Can one import xml
> data in the OpenOffice program Calc? The problem is that the original
> xml file can be very long and the digit precision of some data fields
> is strictly required. Thanks a lot!

This was one of the first demos for XML conversion I wrote, before XSLT
appeared. It runs awk on the ESIS output of onsgmls and produces CSV.

http://silmaril.ie/downloads/softwar...sv/xml2csv.zip

Bear in mind this is a proof-of-concept, not a production tool.

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

marilynn83 marilynn83 is offline
Junior Member

i had the same problem of trying to convert a really long large xml file to something i can view in excel. This is what i did:

1. changed the extension to .csv (not xls, that didn't work)
2. opened excel and opened the file

i know the columns aren't quite right, but this is a much quicker way to view the data.

janegi janegi is offline
Junior Member

If you have MS Access, import the XML to access, then export as XLS. CLose to zero effort and fully formatted. Watch out for fields that have incorrect type (such as importing to Text format instead of memo format and so on). Any import errors will show up in the Import Error table.

karthikeyanseo karthikeyanseo is offline
Junior Member
Location: CA, 95054

I think contact any kpo services like informatics outsourcing