Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Do 240Gb USB drives exist?

Do 240Gb USB drives exist?

]v[etaphoidal

Just got back from a visit to China, where I stumbled upon a market stand
selling 240gb USB drives. They were branded as Sony's, but showed up as
Ameco Flash Disk USB Device on system properties.

At US $15 a pop - is this too good too be true, or are flash drives this big
really available?

hwأf

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:23:18 +1100, ]v[etaphoidal aided th' terraists with
the following claims :

> Just got back from a visit to China, where I stumbled upon a market stand
> selling 240gb USB drives. They were branded as Sony's, but showed up as
> Ameco Flash Disk USB Device on system properties.
>
> At US $15 a pop - is this too good too be true, or are flash drives this big
> really available?

No. It was a carefully crafted hologram designed by the chinese gubamint
to fool 'merikin tourists.

HTH

http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg

]v[etaphoidal

"hwأf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:23:18 +1100, ]v[etaphoidal aided th' terraists with
> the following claims :
>
>> Just got back from a visit to China, where I stumbled upon a market stand
>> selling 240gb USB drives. They were branded as Sony's, but showed up as
>> Ameco Flash Disk USB Device on system properties.
>>
>> At US $15 a pop - is this too good too be true, or are flash drives this
>> big
>> really available?

> No. It was a carefully crafted hologram designed by the chinese gubamint
> to fool 'merikin tourists.
>
> HTH

Figured as much. Thanks...

lurk

I see that they have a thumb drive 16 gigs $59 staples ....won't be
long till they go no moving parts hard drives...

"]v[etaphoidal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48fced53$0$31803$(E-Mail Removed) u...

> "hwأf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:23:18 +1100, ]v[etaphoidal aided th' terraists
>> with
>> the following claims :
>>
>>> Just got back from a visit to China, where I stumbled upon a market
>>> stand
>>> selling 240gb USB drives. They were branded as Sony's, but showed up as
>>> Ameco Flash Disk USB Device on system properties.
>>>
>>> At US $15 a pop - is this too good too be true, or are flash drives this
>>> big
>>> really available?

>> No. It was a carefully crafted hologram designed by the chinese gubamint
>> to fool 'merikin tourists.
>>
>> HTH

> Figured as much. Thanks...

]v[etaphoidal

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "]v[etaphoidal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:48fc6a25$0$31804$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>> Just got back from a visit to China, where I stumbled upon a market stand
>> selling 240gb USB drives. They were branded as Sony's, but showed up as
>> Ameco Flash Disk USB Device on system properties.
>>
>> At US $15 a pop - is this too good too be true, or are flash drives this
>> big really available?
>>

> And in Windows Explorer "properties",
> what size were they?

Capacity: 257,886,617,600 bytes 240GB

> I've never seen one bigger than 16 gigs

Nor had I.

]v[etaphoidal

"Xilsoh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> HI... I travel almost everywhere in the world because of my job...
> Yesterday night I had one in my hands and my co-worker and I tested it
> during the flight coming from china and we transfered one mp3 song of
> 5.36 MB and duplicate it again and again inside this 240 GB usb flash
> memory and guess what... IT REALLY WORKS!!!!!!!!!.. NO KIDDNIG!!!.... we
> stopped until it had 100GB of mp3 copied song because of my laptop
> battery almost drained out... we will continue in a few hours testing
> it... I will write results later... bye

Wish my experiences were as positive.

Whilst it shows up as 240GB, it appears to be very flakey. Every second file
I transfer has errors of some sorts.

Is yours the "SONY vaio" branded version? Where did you buy it?

hwأf

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:55:05 -0400, lurk aided th' terraists with the
following claims :

> I see that they have a thumb drive 16 gigs $59 staples ....won't be
> long till they go no moving parts hard drives...

They're already in some netbooks, gEnYuS.

Price of the drives is quite steep though. Plus when will they fix the
issue of maximum writes?
Gimme the spinning platters anyday for reliable daily use.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg

Whiskers

On 2008-10-21, Xilsoh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ' Wrote:
>> v[etaphoidal;9244135']"Xilsoh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

[...]

> I edited my first comment, please read it again...

You may have done something on the webforum interface you are using, but
you didn't do anything to the original message you posted. This is not a
web forum, it is a usenet newsgroup which "NetTechGuide" have usurped to
provide free content for their web site and generate income for them from
the adverts there.

Newcomers to newsgroups should start here

<http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>

and here

<http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/>, the Official Home Page of the
newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

PeeCee

"]v[etaphoidal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48fda480$0$31804$(E-Mail Removed) u...

> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "]v[etaphoidal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:48fc6a25$0$31804$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>>> Just got back from a visit to China, where I stumbled upon a market
>>> stand selling 240gb USB drives. They were branded as Sony's, but showed
>>> up as Ameco Flash Disk USB Device on system properties.
>>>
>>> At US $15 a pop - is this too good too be true, or are flash drives this
>>> big really available?
>>>

>> And in Windows Explorer "properties",
>> what size were they?

> Capacity: 257,886,617,600 bytes 240GB
>
>> I've never seen one bigger than 16 gigs

> Nor had I.

Well if it's a 'true' 240GB then that explains why 1-4 GB USB sticks have
taken such a price dive recently.

Here's hoping.

Paul.

babybear babybear is offline
Junior Member

hi, yes they do. i was in shenzhen on the chinese hong kong border this month and bought one for approx $9 australian. it was a sony vaio brand and works fine! wish i had bought more, they had heaps of them! also bought a 32gb at the same stall and got both for $100 hk (approx $19.80 au).