Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Vista-Fixing Desktop Icon Locations?

Re: Vista-Fixing Desktop Icon Locations?

chuckcar

Jeff Wisnia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Unless my memory is tricking me, the Recycle Bin icon used to always
> stay at the upper left corner of my Vista desktop when I sorted the
> icons by name, even though there are other icons whose names begin with
> letters ahead of "R".
>
> Now it moves to its apppropriate alphabetical location when I sort the
> icons by name.
>
> How do I return the Recycle Bin to "sticking" in the upper left location
> again?
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> Jeff

You mean how do you sort it alphabetically so "R" is the first letter of
the alphabet? Try changing to russian maybe? Seriously, *manually* move
the icon, then line up the icons and *never* sort them again.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

Jeff Wisnia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>>How do I return the Recycle Bin to "sticking" in the upper left
>>>location again?
>>>
>>>Thanks guys,
>>>
>>>Jeff

>> You mean how do you sort it alphabetically so "R" is the first letter
>> of the alphabet? Try changing to russian maybe? Seriously, *manually*
>> move the icon, then line up the icons and *never* sort them again.
>>

> There's got to be more to it than that, chuckar.
>
> My own office computer, also running Vista and another computer here
> running XP don't act that way.
>
> I can manually move the Recycle Bin icon elsewhere on the desktop and
> also switch around a few other icons and when I right click on the
> desktop and then click on "Arrange Icons > By name" the Recycle bin
> jumps to the upper left corner of the screen and the remaining icons
> line up alphabetically by name in vertical columns from left to right.
>
> Maybe the clever sods at microsoft put some non-printing characters at
> the leading end of the Recycle Bin's icon's name to force it to sort to
> that "first" location?
>
> I'll await the correct answer, someone must have it.

I never said there *wasn't* a way to do it so sorting would work, but
you're fighting with the sort by doing it along with the fact that you
are renaming an icon that may be tough to rename and a windows repair might
just rename back anyways. It's something that could be seen as trojan-like
behavior. But if you *have* to fight the OS, try this:

Rename it with either a space or "!" before the "R". Those are the first
two printable ascii characters.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Rename it with either a space or "!" before the "R". Those are the first
>two printable ascii characters.

You've never been able to rename the Recycle Bin.
--

http://files.sharenator.com/user_fri...3x533-1821.jpg

Workman

chuckcar wrote:

> Jeff Wisnia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> You mean how do you sort it alphabetically so "R" is the first
>>> letter of the alphabet? Try changing to russian maybe? Seriously,
>>> *manually* move the icon, then line up the icons and *never* sort
>>> them again.
>>>

>> There's got to be more to it than that, chuckar.
>>
>> My own office computer, also running Vista and another computer here
>> running XP don't act that way.
>>
>> I can manually move the Recycle Bin icon elsewhere on the desktop and
>> also switch around a few other icons and when I right click on the
>> desktop and then click on "Arrange Icons > By name" the Recycle bin
>> jumps to the upper left corner of the screen and the remaining icons
>> line up alphabetically by name in vertical columns from left to
>> right.
>>
>> Maybe the clever sods at microsoft put some non-printing characters
>> at the leading end of the Recycle Bin's icon's name to force it to
>> sort to that "first" location?
>>
>> I'll await the correct answer, someone must have it.

Right-click a blank area of the desktop > hover over 'arrange icons by' (or
similar) > make sure "auto arrange" (or similar) is unchecked?

> I never said there *wasn't* a way to do it so sorting would work, but
> you're fighting with the sort by doing it along with the fact that you
> are renaming an icon that may be tough to rename and a windows repair
> might just rename back anyways. It's something that could be seen as
> trojan-like behavior. But if you *have* to fight the OS, try this:
>
> Rename it with either a space or "!" before the "R". Those are the
> first two printable ascii characters.

Evan Platt

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:21:17 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>You've never been able to rename the Recycle Bin.

Well you can *hack* the name. But I'm sure chucktard thought you could
simply rename it.

thanatoid

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Rename it with either a space or "!" before the "R". Those
>>are the first two printable ascii characters.

> You've never been able to rename the Recycle Bin.

Not true. Mine has been called "dumpster" for ages. Nice trash
can with flowers and flies icon, too.

--
Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the
votes decide everything.

NB: Not only is my KF over 4 KB and growing, I am also filtering
everything from discussions.microsoft and google groups, so no
offense if you don't get a reply/comment unless I see you quoted
in another post.

thanatoid

Jeff Wisnia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)
ations:

<SNIP>

> I'll await the correct answer, someone must have it.

The "default" 4 or 5 windows icons (of which I have /one/, the
RC, but called "dumpster" and with a custom icon), are a
nightmare and the first sign your Windows machine wants to
control YOU and not vice versa.

There are a variety (well, over the years I have found about 5)
of programs to deal with the ****ing icons, but the best and
simplest I have found is

http://www.iconsaver.com/index.html

I don't know if it'll work on Vista, but if you use Vista, you
have abandoned all hope upon entering anyway.