Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Fixing malware/spyware

Re: Fixing malware/spyware

HEMI-Powered

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= added these comments in the current
discussion du jour ...

> I work at a school district and occasionally we get a teachers
> notebook back with some spy ware/malware/virus on it.
>
> We have a firewall, XP and McAfee running on all. The scenario
> usually happens when it hasn't been on the network to be
> updated, the user takes it home and clicks on something like
> "You have crap on your computer. Want us to cleans it off?"
> The idiots do... or their kids. In spite of many
> requirements/warnings.
>
> I update and run McAfee and it usually iindicates Vundo & says
> it's cleaning/deleting. Supurious dll's still come up in
> booting as user. Running Housecall does not help to any
> extent. Ditto with Ad Aware.
>
> My last resort is to reimage the notebook to original. If I
> feel kindly/workload I may copy the data to their share.
>
> Does anyone have a practical plan of attack and favorite
> software I could use?
>
> I would rather help these people than just lay waste...

With both cynicism and realism, methinketh you need a far
stronger policy on malware coming in from teacher notebooks. No
one must ever be allowed to bring down a network because they do
not practice "safe sex" on the Internet. If the teacher has
circumvented your malware protection, take away their computer.
If they mangle themselves or you, make them pay to correct it.
You'd be surprised what a powerful incentive to do right is to be
personally disadvantaged.

There is simply no way that I, as the tech support for your
school, would continue to waste time and resources on teachers
who so clearly take no responsibility for their own actions.

The one-strike-and-you're-out plan trumps any SW solution you may
come up with. One other draconian suggestion, prohibit
technically the ability to even go to dangerous sites and
consider getting school board support that puts restrictions on
the SW and web access these teachers can run. This is really no
different than a business where the bad stuff is locked out
whenever an employee uses company-owned HW or systems.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Efficiency is doing things right, effectiveness is doing the
right things" - Peter Drucker

HEMI-Powered

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= added these comments in the current
discussion du jour ...

> HEMI give me an email addy. I have some info... Thanks for
> your reply.

don't think so. first, I don't kiss on a first date but never do
with a Google grouper. you will likely get more cogent and pithy
replies if you perhaps spend a little more time on independent
research AFTER talking some with the management of your school,
e.g., principal, superintendent, director of IT, legal weanie and
the like.

the last 5 1/2 years of my career was in the area of info
security. I was somewhat familiar with the principles involved
when appointed to the position but on the vary narrow area of
certain kinds of CAD data. so, the first thing I did was a deep
dive with the search capabilities of the Internet, such that they
were in 1996.today, it is far easier.

if your "management" thinks this is a big enough problem, you may
want to consider hiring a time-and-material fee forensics and
Cyber security contractor to learn the lay of the land and
determine the extent of your problem beyond the obvious you've
already stated.

I will reply here, though, if you have questions/comments for
which I have reasonable non-cynical observations. good luck, I
think you may need it.