Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JComboBox problem with new java 6u10 on ubuntu

Reply
Thread Tools

JComboBox problem with new java 6u10 on ubuntu

 
 
timinganalyzer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2008
Hi All,

The arrow is not painted correctly on all the JComboBox's and it looks
like there might be a problem with the JScrollPane since the scroll
bar is sized correctly. I know JComboBox issue this was on the
bug, I just don't understand how Sun can release any new version of
Java with this kind of serious bug?

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04. Anyone else seeing the same kind of problems?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrew Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2008
On Oct 19, 1:06 pm, timinganalyzer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The arrow is not painted correctly on all the JComboBox's and it looks
> like there might be a problem with the JScrollPane since the scroll
> bar is sized correctly.


(looks around)

...and the code you are using to see this problem,
is ..where? (Before you go dumping hundreds of lines
of 'your code' - check out the SSCCE - that would
get more help/attention.)

Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's an Ubuntu problem,
but maybe the code used is simply all messed up
and fragile.

My money is on the last one.

--
Andrew T.
pscode.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
timinganalyzer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2008
On Oct 22, 10:38*pm, Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 19, 1:06 pm, timinganalyzer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,

>
> > The arrow is not painted correctly on all the JComboBox's and it looks
> > like there might be a problem with the JScrollPane since the scroll
> > bar is sized correctly.

>
> (looks around)
>
> ..and the code you are using to see this problem,
> is ..where? (Before you go dumping hundreds of lines
> of 'your code' - check out the SSCCE - that would
> get more help/attention.)
>
> Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's an Ubuntu problem,
> but maybe the code used is simply all messed up
> and fragile.
>
> My money is on the last one.
>
> --
> Andrew T.
> pscode.org


The JComboBox bug has been reported. See the link below.
http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6624717

Sun claims its fixed in 7(b27) which means Java 7 beta version 27,
but doesn't mention anything about java 6.

Also, in my original post, I mean to say the scroll bar is not sized
correctly.
This program works well on Windows XP and MAC OS X.

Thanks in advance for any help,
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2008
On Oct 24, 1:27*am, timinganalyzer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 22, 10:38*pm, Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

....
> > Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's an Ubuntu problem,
> > but maybe the code used is simply all messed up
> > and fragile.

>
> > My money is on the last one.

....
> The JComboBox bug has been reported. See the link below.http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6624717


Aha. (I was) Wrong again.

> Sun claims its fixed in 7(b27) which means Java 7 beta version 27,
> but doesn't mention anything about java 6.


Sounds like you are best off adding your results to
that report, though it does seem like Sun has no
intention of fixing it for 1.6. That is a complete
PITA for us developers, when such simple things as
combo's do not render reliably.

--
Andrew T.
pscode.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
timinganalyzer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2008
On Oct 23, 11:42*pm, Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 24, 1:27*am, timinganalyzer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Oct 22, 10:38*pm, Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ...
> > > Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's an Ubuntu problem,
> > > but maybe the code used is simply all messed up
> > > and fragile.

>
> > > My money is on the last one.

> ...
> > The JComboBox bug has been reported. See the link below.http://bugs.sun..com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6624717

>
> Aha. *(I was) Wrong again.
>
> > Sun claims its fixed in 7(b27) which means Java 7 beta version 27,
> > but doesn't mention anything about java 6.

>
> Sounds like you are best off adding your results to
> that report, though it does seem like Sun has no
> intention of fixing it for 1.6. *That is a complete
> PITA for us developers, when such simple things as
> combo's do not render reliably. *
>
> --
> Andrew T.
> pscode.org


If this is really the case, which Linux distributions should I look to
use with java 6?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to eliminate warning: unchecked call to additem(E) java as amember of the raw type javax.swing.JComboBox clusardi2k@aol.com Java 11 09-06-2012 09:21 PM
Re: Ubuntu is About to Drop Another Turd! Ubuntu 10.04 Clogwog Computer Support 0 04-29-2010 08:00 PM
Learn python packaging for Ubuntu and Debian in the Ubuntu Open Week SPE - Stani's Python Editor Python 1 04-29-2008 11:51 AM
JComboBox problem, pse help! Tobi Krausl Java 6 12-01-2003 08:10 AM



Advertisments