Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > certificate required to connect to (working) NetGear1 router.

certificate required to connect to (working) NetGear1 router.

robert

I have a working home network (wireless) system conveying a live cable
connection from the Internet to my main computer. When I try to set up my HP
laptop to access the same (working) router, I get the message "windows is
unable to find a certificate to log you in to the network netgear1". I have
been all through the "repair connection" sequence, always with the same
result. Please advise my next course of action. Thank you.--
robert

Bert Hyman

In news:(E-Mail Removed)
=?Utf-8?B?cm9iZXJ0?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a working home network (wireless) system conveying a live cable
> connection from the Internet to my main computer. When I try to set up
> my HP laptop to access the same (working) router, I get the message
> "windows is unable to find a certificate to log you in to the network
> netgear1". I have been all through the "repair connection" sequence,
> always with the same result. Please advise my next course of action.
> Thank you.-- robert

Never seen the Netgear config procedure, but see if you have Radius or
802.1x authentication selected for your WiFi connection. You almost
certainly don't want either of them set.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Lem

robert wrote:
> I have a working home network (wireless) system conveying a live cable
> connection from the Internet to my main computer. When I try to set up my HP
> laptop to access the same (working) router, I get the message "windows is
> unable to find a certificate to log you in to the network netgear1". I have
> been all through the "repair connection" sequence, always with the same
> result. Please advise my next course of action. Thank you.--
> robert

This error message typically means that you are attempting to connect to
a (usually corporate) wireless network that uses a RADIUS server.
Either "netgear1" isn't your own wireless network or you have
misconfigured the settings in the new laptop or you have misconfigured
your router.

Assuming (a) that "netgear1" *is* your own network (you really should
give it a more unique name), (b) that you are using Windows XP, (c) that
you are using Windows Wireless Zero Configuration to control the
wireless adapter, and (d) that you have at least one other *working*
wireless connection from a Windows XP computer (that is, is your "main
computer" connected via Ethernet or wireless?), then

- from the "Chose a wireless network" window, click the link in the left
column to "Change the order of preferred networks."
- in the list of Preferred networks, choose yours (now would be a good
time to move it to the top of the list, if it isn't there already),
click the "Properties" button and then the "Authentication" tab.
- in the "Authentication" window, ensure that the box to "Enable IEEE
802.1x authentication for this network" is UNchecked. OK your way out
and try to connect to the network again.

If assumption (d) is incorrect, then you probably have misconfigured
your wireless *router* and not your hp laptop. You need to have the
router configured to use WPA2-PSK (WPA2-Personal) or WPA-PSK (WPA-Personal).

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

robert

I suspect you have put your finger on the problem. My HP laptop had
previously apparently "burned up" its internal wireless sensor, so I grabbed
a cheap external adapter from eBay which uses the USB port. As I said
previously, it appears onscreen, but won't actually connect to my net.
Looking at this adapter, (Netopia 802.11b DSSS high speed standard) it
clearly USES the standard you want me to disable. Can this adapter ever be
used on this machine, or should I just deep six it, and spend the 40 bucks
for a different unit? I had no idea there were differing standards between
corporate and home useage. Oh, well.
--
robert

"Bert Hyman" wrote:

> In news:(E-Mail Removed)
> =?Utf-8?B?cm9iZXJ0?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have a working home network (wireless) system conveying a live cable
> > connection from the Internet to my main computer. When I try to set up
> > my HP laptop to access the same (working) router, I get the message
> > "windows is unable to find a certificate to log you in to the network
> > netgear1". I have been all through the "repair connection" sequence,
> > always with the same result. Please advise my next course of action.
> > Thank you.-- robert

> Never seen the Netgear config procedure, but see if you have Radius or
> 802.1x authentication selected for your WiFi connection. You almost
> certainly don't want either of them set.
>

> --
> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

Lem

robert wrote:
> I suspect you have put your finger on the problem. My HP laptop had
> previously apparently "burned up" its internal wireless sensor, so I grabbed
> a cheap external adapter from eBay which uses the USB port. As I said
> previously, it appears onscreen, but won't actually connect to my net.
> Looking at this adapter, (Netopia 802.11b DSSS high speed standard) it
> clearly USES the standard you want me to disable. Can this adapter ever be
> used on this machine, or should I just deep six it, and spend the 40 bucks
> for a different unit? I had no idea there were differing standards between
> corporate and home useage. Oh, well.

It's very likely that this piece of hardware *can* operate without using
802.11x. Because you didn't specify the model, it's hard to give a
definitive answer. If you really have an 802.11b only model, it's
probably a very old adapter and may well not support WPA or WPA2
encryption. In that case, you will need to lower the encryption of your
entire wifi network to match the capability of this unit. You do also
realize that 802.11b is quite slow by today's wifi standards?

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
I doubt that it is the adaptor. My first guess would be similar to Lem
suggestion.
However if you do need a new adapter there is no reason to go with "kinky"
eBay one.
This is an example for a new, fully compatible Wireless USB that is less
expensive.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a working home network (wireless) system conveying a live cable
> connection from the Internet to my main computer. When I try to set up my
> HP
> laptop to access the same (working) router, I get the message "windows is
> unable to find a certificate to log you in to the network netgear1". I
> have
> been all through the "repair connection" sequence, always with the same
> result. Please advise my next course of action. Thank you.--
> robert

robert

I'm afraid I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to this stuff - The unit I
am trying to use is model SWL-2300U FCC ID E2XSWL-2300U. It is also marked CE
0560, and USB Spec 11 Compliant. BTW, I couldn't find anyplace in Windows to
unclick that 802.1x spec - could that be because this unit was connected at
the time? At any rate, is there any way I can get this thing to work even
temporarily, until I can get either a new adapter?
--
robert

robert wrote:
> I'm afraid I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to this stuff - The unit I
> am trying to use is model SWL-2300U FCC ID E2XSWL-2300U. It is also marked CE
> 0560, and USB Spec 11 Compliant. BTW, I couldn't find anyplace in Windows to
> unclick that 802.1x spec - could that be because this unit was connected at
> the time? At any rate, is there any way I can get this thing to work even
> temporarily, until I can get either a new adapter?

You definitely should get a new adapter. The one suggested by Jack looks
like a good deal. Otherwise

In the meantime ...

When you bought this one eBay, did it come with a CD or software of any
kind? Have you installed the software (see end of post)?

I assume that because you can get as far as a wireless-related error
message, the device must be working to some extent. Did you get to a
screen where you could choose a wireless network? Did it look like
this:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml

You should be able to get to that screen either by right-clicking on the
wireless network icon next to the clock or by using the Start > Connect
to link.

If you *can* get to that screen, follow the directions in my previous
post. If you see some other sort of screen, odds are that you're using
some proprietary configuration utility to control the adapter instead of
Windows. You'll have to turn that off and start Windows Wireless Zero
Configuration.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be off the air for the next several days.
For further info on this topic, see Jack's site at
http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

As I said, you probably have already installed a driver for this, but if
not, one appears to be available from several other sources, including:
http://members.driverguide.com/drive...riverid=606320
http://www.wireless-driver.com/downl...or-Windows.htm
http://www.dsldepot.com/dslmodem.asp?modem=260

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

robert

I got to that screen, alright - it said there was a firewall (with a red X),
so I found a screen to the firewall off (although of course it was not
reccommended, I figured I'd try anything temporarily at this point). Then I
was able to get to a screen with TWO of those little 'radio tower-like'
symbols. the one on the left side says (on lines 1/2/3) 1-local area
connection, 2-network cable unplugged (with a red X), 3-NVIDA nForce
networking co.. The right hand symbol which I presume is the one we are
working on says 1-Lillian (This is what my regular PC shows for her laptop
connection), 2-Validating Identity (with a blue question mark), 3-Netopia
802.11b WLAN USB. I tried "repair connections", the little blue dashes scurry
across the screen for awhile, then it says "Windows could not finish
repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed.
Connecting to the wireless network. For assistance, contact the person who
manages your network. That must be "Joe the plumber"
--
robert

"Lem" wrote:

> robert wrote:
> > I'm afraid I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to this stuff - The unit I
> > am trying to use is model SWL-2300U FCC ID E2XSWL-2300U. It is also marked CE
> > 0560, and USB Spec 11 Compliant. BTW, I couldn't find anyplace in Windows to
> > unclick that 802.1x spec - could that be because this unit was connected at
> > the time? At any rate, is there any way I can get this thing to work even
> > temporarily, until I can get either a new adapter?

> You definitely should get a new adapter. The one suggested by Jack looks
> like a good deal. Otherwise
>
> In the meantime ...
>
> When you bought this one eBay, did it come with a CD or software of any
> kind? Have you installed the software (see end of post)?
>
> I assume that because you can get as far as a wireless-related error
> message, the device must be working to some extent. Did you get to a
> screen where you could choose a wireless network? Did it look like
> this:
> http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml
>
> You should be able to get to that screen either by right-clicking on the
> wireless network icon next to the clock or by using the Start > Connect
> to link.
>
> If you *can* get to that screen, follow the directions in my previous
> post. If you see some other sort of screen, odds are that you're using
> some proprietary configuration utility to control the adapter instead of
> Windows. You'll have to turn that off and start Windows Wireless Zero
> Configuration.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm going to be off the air for the next several days.
> For further info on this topic, see Jack's site at
> http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
>
> As I said, you probably have already installed a driver for this, but if
> not, one appears to be available from several other sources, including:
> http://members.driverguide.com/drive...riverid=606320
> http://www.wireless-driver.com/downl...or-Windows.htm
> http://www.dsldepot.com/dslmodem.asp?modem=260
>

> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP

robert

Thanks very much Jack, that's an excellent suggestion. Best regards, Bob
--
robert