Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > IO error

IO error

Rajan Arora

Hi,
I am trying to get the data out of an instrument through its GPIB port
and using python code. I am able to perfectly control the operation of
the instrument with my code. But I have not figured out a way as yet
to get the data of the GPIB.
I thin that it will go through 2 steps:
1) instrument transfers data to its output buffer
2) Read from the output buffer.

When i try read() command it gives me an IO timeout error.

Any suggestions?

Thanx in advance.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Rajan
Arora wrote:

> I am trying to get the data out of an instrument through its GPIB port...
>
> When i try read() command it gives me an IO timeout error.

What's the device name, device driver module name, do you have any sample or
diagnostic code you can run to prove that your PC is communicating properly
with the device?

Rajan Arora

On Oct 18, 5:52*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rajan
>
> Arora wrote:
> > I am trying to get the data out of an instrument through its GPIB port....

> > When i try read() command it gives me an IO timeout error.

> What's the device name, device driver module name, do you have any sample or
> diagnostic code you can run to prove that your PC is communicating properly
> with the device?

Hi..
I am trying to automate an HP 4156. I am getting some of the data that
i need, but when i specify the whole data set i want it to read, it
takes some time and gives a IO Timeout error.
Will making IO timeout=0 help?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Rajan
Arora wrote:

> On Oct 18, 5:52*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> In message
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Rajan
>>
>> Arora wrote:
>> > I am trying to get the data out of an instrument through its GPIB
>> > port...

>> > When i try read() command it gives me an IO timeout error.

>> What's the device name, device driver module name, do you have any sample
>> or diagnostic code you can run to prove that your PC is communicating
>> properly with the device?

> I am trying to automate an HP 4156. I am getting some of the data that
> i need, but when i specify the whole data set i want it to read, it
> takes some time and gives a IO Timeout error.
> Will making IO timeout=0 help?

What's the device name as far as the OS is concerned that you are specifying
to open the device, device driver module name, do you have any sample or