Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > crossplatform standalone python apps

crossplatform standalone python apps

Gabriel Rossetti

Hello everyone,

I like to create a cross-platform standalone python application, like
Mac OS *.app dirs. The idea is to distribute a zip file containing
everything (the python interpreter and all) so that a user just unzips
it and runs it. Has anyone ever done anything like that? I searched
google but didn't find anything really, and currently, even in my dev
env, I have to set the PYTHONPATH manually, and for a standalone app I
couldn't do that for example.

Thank you,
Gabriel

Martin v. L÷wis

> I like to create a cross-platform standalone python application, like
> Mac OS *.app dirs. The idea is to distribute a zip file containing
> everything (the python interpreter and all) so that a user just unzips
> it and runs it.

I don't think this can possibly work. If the zipfile contains the Python
interpreter, it can't possibly work on all platforms - the Python
interpreter is run as native machine code of the respective CPU.

So either you drop the requirement that the zipfile must be
cross-platform, or you drop the requirement that the Python interpreter
is included in the zipfile.

Notice that Mac OS *.app dirs are *not* cross-platform, either - they
only work on Mac OS.

Regards,
Martin

Gabriel Rossetti

Martin v. L÷wis wrote:
>> I like to create a cross-platform standalone python application, like
>> Mac OS *.app dirs. The idea is to distribute a zip file containing
>> everything (the python interpreter and all) so that a user just unzips
>> it and runs it.
>>

> I don't think this can possibly work. If the zipfile contains the Python
> interpreter, it can't possibly work on all platforms - the Python
> interpreter is run as native machine code of the respective CPU.

yes, I know that , I ment everything that can be, my problem is more
with PYTHONPATH and stuff like that.
> So either you drop the requirement that the zipfile must be
> cross-platform, or you drop the requirement that the Python interpreter
> is included in the zipfile.
>
> Notice that Mac OS *.app dirs are *not* cross-platform, either - they
> only work on Mac OS.

Yes, I also know that, I was giving them as an example of how I'd like
it to work (out of the box)
> Regards,
> Martin

Regards,
Gabriel

Martin v. L÷wis

> yes, I know that , I ment everything that can be, my problem is more
> with PYTHONPATH and stuff like that.

Then I don't understand what you meant. What is it (specifically!) that
you do, what happens, what do you want to happen instead?

Regards,
Martin

Mike Driscoll

On Oct 17, 1:59*am, Gabriel Rossetti <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I like to create a cross-platform standalone python application, like
> Mac OS *.app dirs. The idea is to distribute a zip file containing
> everything (the python interpreter and all) so that a user just unzips
> it and runs it. Has anyone ever done anything like that? I searched
> google but didn't find anything really, and currently, even in my dev
> env, I have to set the PYTHONPATH manually, and for a standalone app I
> couldn't do that for example.
>
> Thank you,
> Gabriel

Use GUI2Exe. It can create frozen distributions for Mac, Windows and
Linux using py2exe, py2app, cxFreeze, etc.

Check it out here: http://code.google.com/p/gui2exe/

You will (of course) need to have py2exe et al installed if you want
GUI2Exe to interface with them.

Mike