Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > High ADSL line rate but slow internet speeds

High ADSL line rate but slow internet speeds

Rats

Hi,

I recently moved to my new house and had my internet account
relocated. On testing the internet speed at my new place I found it to
be quite slow (max 30k/s). So I ran some speed tests and it peaked at
about 750kbps. In fact my local ISP speed tests were even slower at a
max of 300kbps.

What is strange though is my ADSL router device shows a very high
connection rate:

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 160
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 4128

I am on a FS/128k plan with Worldnet.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Rats

On Oct 17, 6:00*pm, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rats wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I recently moved to my new house and had my internet account
> > relocated. On testing the internet speed at my new place I found it to
> > be quite slow (max 30k/s). So I ran some speed tests and it peaked at
> > about 750kbps. In fact my local ISP speed tests were even slower at a
> > max of 300kbps.

> > What is strange though is my ADSL router device shows a very high
> > connection rate:

> > Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 160
> > Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 4128

> > I am on a FS/128k plan with Worldnet.

> > Any help will be most appreciated.

> It's possible that the last people to use your line had a limited account
> and the software/hardware at the exchange is still limiting it to that. If
> that's the case then your ISP needs to communicate the plan change to the
> exchange.
> --
> A.- Hide quoted text -

Hi, thanks for your respone. The line itself is new as the house has
just been built. However I will make enquiries along these lines with
my ISP.

Thanks.

EMB

Rats wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently moved to my new house and had my internet account
> relocated. On testing the internet speed at my new place I found it to
> be quite slow (max 30k/s). So I ran some speed tests and it peaked at
> about 750kbps. In fact my local ISP speed tests were even slower at a
> max of 300kbps.
>
> What is strange though is my ADSL router device shows a very high
> connection rate:
>
> Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 160
> Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 4128
>
> I am on a FS/128k plan with Worldnet.
>
> Any help will be most appreciated.

Backhaul congestion from the DSLAM to your ISP?

Tony in Oz

"Rats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Oct 17, 6:00 pm, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rats wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I recently moved to my new house and had my internet account
> > relocated. On testing the internet speed at my new place I found it to
> > be quite slow (max 30k/s). So I ran some speed tests and it peaked at
> > about 750kbps. In fact my local ISP speed tests were even slower at a
> > max of 300kbps.

> > What is strange though is my ADSL router device shows a very high
> > connection rate:

> > Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 160
> > Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 4128

> > I am on a FS/128k plan with Worldnet.

> > Any help will be most appreciated.

> It's possible that the last people to use your line had a limited account
> and the software/hardware at the exchange is still limiting it to that. If
> that's the case then your ISP needs to communicate the plan change to the
> exchange.
> --
> A.- Hide quoted text -

Hi, thanks for your respone. The line itself is new as the house has
just been built. However I will make enquiries along these lines with
my ISP.

Thanks.

How do you know its a new line? Just because the house is new, doesn't
mean the number is. Someone may have vacated it only weeks ago. The only new
part is likely to be the underground between the DP out at the road and your
house. It will probably be a jumper in the exchange. Cheers

Rats

On Oct 17, 6:46*pm, "Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> * * How do you know its a new line? Just because the house is new, doesn't
> mean the number is. Someone may have vacated it only weeks ago. The only new
> part is likely to be the underground between the DP out at the road and your
> house. It will probably be a jumper in the exchange. *Cheers- Hide quoted text -

I see what you mean. I'll ask the guys at my ISP. Thanks for your
help.

Tony in Oz

"Rats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Oct 17, 6:46 pm, "Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How do you know its a new line? Just because the house is new, doesn't
> mean the number is. Someone may have vacated it only weeks ago. The only
> new
> part is likely to be the underground between the DP out at the road and
> your
> house. It will probably be a jumper in the exchange. Cheers- Hide quoted
> text -

I see what you mean. I'll ask the guys at my ISP. Thanks for your
help.

Also worth trying if you haven't done it already, is pull the plug out
of your modem, at the back. Leave it about 30 seconds or so, then plug it
back in. I got caught out like that when i upgraded to a faster plan.
Several days after I had changed it was still showing the old speed. And its
not just reboot the modem, but leave it with the pug out long enough for the
diodes to completely discharge. Simple, but easy to discount.

Rats

On Oct 17, 7:34*pm, "Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> * * Also worth trying if you haven't done it already, is pull the plug out
> of your modem, at the back. Leave it about 30 seconds or so, then plug it
> back in. I got caught out like that when i upgraded to a faster plan.
> Several days after I had changed it was still showing the old speed. And its
> not just reboot the modem, but leave it with the pug out long enough for the
> diodes to completely discharge. *Simple, but easy to discount.

Hi, I found out what the problem was. It was in fact my laptop. Don't
ask me why, but I was getting slower DL speeds off my laptop compared
to when i plugged in my PC.

However now I am faced with the issue as to why I am getting
consistent 2.2mbps DL speeds when my router is connecting at 4+ mpbs!
Test with another computer?!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Rats
wrote:

> Hi, I found out what the problem was. It was in fact my laptop.

Is it running Vista?

Rats

On Oct 19, 8:40*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rats
> wrote:
>
> > Hi, I found out what the problem was. It was in fact my laptop.

> Is it running Vista?

LOL! That would only be so true ... but unfortunately it's running XP.

Stephen Worthington

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:40:14 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message
><(E-Mail Removed)>, Rats
>wrote:
>
>> Hi, I found out what the problem was. It was in fact my laptop.

>Is it running Vista?

Vista's TCP/IP stack is better than XP's - it dynamically adapts the
window size, so it normally will download faster with fewer
connections to a site. I was pleasantly surprised to discover this -
MS actually did get something right for a change.