Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > why do I need to enable "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" to see anapplet?

why do I need to enable "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" to see anapplet?

Arne Vajh°j

Steve Sobol wrote:
> On 2008-10-19, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> That is correct. However Microsoft has been doing everything it could
>> from day 1 to derail Java. This is its latest salvo. They do this
>> because Microsoft's strategy is to lock users and developers into
>> quirky Microsoft OSes and languages. Java lets programs developed for
>> Windows run elsewhere, including Sun hardware, and mainframes.

> Isn't it more likely that the Java plugin uses ActiveX technology, that being
> pretty much the only way you can embed stuff in IE?

Much more.

But why let facts get in the way for some MS bashing.

Arne

John W Kennedy

Steve Sobol wrote:
> On 2008-10-19, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> That is correct. However Microsoft has been doing everything it could
>> from day 1 to derail Java. This is its latest salvo. They do this
>> because Microsoft's strategy is to lock users and developers into
>> quirky Microsoft OSes and languages. Java lets programs developed for
>> Windows run elsewhere, including Sun hardware, and mainframes.

> Isn't it more likely that the Java plugin uses ActiveX technology, that being
> pretty much the only way you can embed stuff in IE?

Hey, why should IE plug-ins be allowed to use the de-facto standard
browser plug-in API? Anyone who has the effrontery to support non-MS
software needs to be punished!

--
John W. Kennedy
"The grand art mastered the thudding hammer of Thor

Arne Vajh°j

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:54:12 -0700 (PDT), Mark_Galeck
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>>from what I've been taught in school, applets are "safe", in that
>> they
>> cannot modify the data on the target computer, so one can go to a
>> website and see an applet and there should be no security issues with
>> that. This is the whole concept and appeal of applets.

> That is correct. However Microsoft has been doing everything it could
> from day 1 to derail Java. This is its latest salvo. They do this
> because Microsoft's strategy is to lock users and developers into
> quirky Microsoft OSes and languages. Java lets programs developed for
> Windows run elsewhere, including Sun hardware, and mainframes.

The changes in IE affect all ActiveX components not just Java applet
plugin.

So it is not an action specifically against Java.

Arne