Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Anyone know where to get MS Habu mouse 1.0 version firmware?

Anyone know where to get MS Habu mouse 1.0 version firmware?

Jamie Kahn Genet

I want to revert to 1.0 as OSX thinks Habu mice with later firmware
versions are keyboards. It's not a huge annoyance as the Habu still
works ok, but having the damn KeyboardSetupAssistant launch every time I
plug my mouse in is a drag. Neither Razer nor MS seem to have 1.0
available.

As to why I updated - I also use this mouse in Windows and figured I
might as well try the update - what harm could it do? Opps!

In OSX I use the excellent USB Overdrive to configure it.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Jamie Kahn Genet

~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Jamie Kahn Genet" typed:
> > I want to revert to 1.0 as OSX thinks Habu mice with later firmware
> > versions are keyboards. It's not a huge annoyance as the Habu still
> > works ok, but having the damn KeyboardSetupAssistant launch every
> > time I plug my mouse in is a drag. Neither Razer nor MS seem to have
> > 1.0 available.
> >
> > As to why I updated - I also use this mouse in Windows and figured I
> > might as well try the update - what harm could it do? Opps!
> >
> > In OSX I use the excellent USB Overdrive to configure it.

> After Googling for 30 minutes (which I'm sure you've already done) I've come
> to the conclusion you need to contact Razer support.

Yeah, I reached the same conclusion. No reply yet, so I thought I'd ask
here. BTW - what mouse do you use? You're a fairly heavy gamer - yeah?

Jamie Kahn Genet

~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Jamie Kahn Genet" typed:
> > ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Jamie Kahn Genet" typed:

> >> After Googling for 30 minutes (which I'm sure you've already done)
> >> I've come to the conclusion you need to contact Razer support.

> > Yeah, I reached the same conclusion. No reply yet, so I thought I'd
> > ask here. BTW - what mouse do you use? You're a fairly heavy gamer -
> > yeah?

> I'm a moderate gamer. I use a Logitech cordless laptop mouse for most things
> (was a DSE VIP special a while back, V220, $25 each down from $79 [at the
> time]. I bought three, they've been good once I got used to the small size).
> Sometimes I plug in a basic corded optical mouse for gaming if the
> split-second pauses and slight lag of the cordless is going to mess with
> gameplay (depends on game).
>
> I fondled a Habu for all of 10 minutes in a shop once before deciding that I
> couldn't justify it. Mates use Copperheads / Diamondbacks etc. They have
> more money than I.
>
> Cheers,

Yeah - it aint easy being a gamer on a budget (I'm only working
part-time). Starcraft 2 and D3 better run on my mid-2007 iMac or I'll
cry. I really will, cause there's no way I can afford a major upgrade
for another couple years.

Hey Shaun - what online games are you playing nowadays?

Peter Huebner

In article <1ioystu.1ny29lid515gpN%(E-Mail Removed) >,
> Yeah, I reached the same conclusion. No reply yet, so I thought I'd ask
> here. BTW - what mouse do you use? You're a fairly heavy gamer - yeah?

Incidentally, I read several hard-hitting reviews that claim razer(sp?)
mice are overpriced and underperforming. Never owned one myself so I
couldn't say.

I've used a Logitech G7 for the last couple of years, having fallen in
love with the idea of getting a cordless gamer-oriented mouse with a usb
charger/receiver and 2 lithium rechargables that I can exchange. That
got a bit old when the capacity of the batteries noticably started
deteriorating within 3 months, and after about 6 months reached a
plateau that was around 6-8 hours instead of the week originally claimed
when I bought the thing. Had to change batteries once or even twice a
day, but it only takes 2-3 seconds so you can even do it while in rpg
combat
I noticed, incidentally, that Logitech constantly revised their claims
for charge-duration downwards also ... in the end, after around 2 years,
that mouse started dropping out alltogether for several seconds from
time to time. I've had to scrap it. :-[

Replaced it with a Logitech G5. Same mouse, but corded. The battery
compartment has been filled by a cartridge that you can fill with little
weights to suit your preferences (gimmick). Nice moderately heavy and
very precise mouse. On the fly resolution change which I never feel the
need to use. What I miss on this one is a feature of the G7 - to be able
to configure/program the buttons for different applications. For some
reason the driver for the G5 doesn't want to do that. Odd. Otherwise a
very very nice mouse indeed. Excellent for gaming, i.m.o. and it got
rave reviews from some fps-fan-reviewers, which sorta says something I
guess (can't stand fps myself).

-Peter

Jamie Kahn Genet

Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1ioystu.1ny29lid515gpN%(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Yeah, I reached the same conclusion. No reply yet, so I thought I'd ask
> > here. BTW - what mouse do you use? You're a fairly heavy gamer - yeah?
> >

> Incidentally, I read several hard-hitting reviews that claim razer(sp?)
> mice are overpriced and underperforming. Never owned one myself so I
> couldn't say.
>
> I've used a Logitech G7 for the last couple of years, having fallen in
> love with the idea of getting a cordless gamer-oriented mouse with a usb
> charger/receiver and 2 lithium rechargables that I can exchange. That
> got a bit old when the capacity of the batteries noticably started
> deteriorating within 3 months, and after about 6 months reached a
> plateau that was around 6-8 hours instead of the week originally claimed
> when I bought the thing. Had to change batteries once or even twice a
> day, but it only takes 2-3 seconds so you can even do it while in rpg
> combat
> I noticed, incidentally, that Logitech constantly revised their claims
> for charge-duration downwards also ... in the end, after around 2 years,
> that mouse started dropping out alltogether for several seconds from
> time to time. I've had to scrap it. :-[
>
> Replaced it with a Logitech G5. Same mouse, but corded. The battery
> compartment has been filled by a cartridge that you can fill with little
> weights to suit your preferences (gimmick). Nice moderately heavy and
> very precise mouse. On the fly resolution change which I never feel the
> need to use. What I miss on this one is a feature of the G7 - to be able
> to configure/program the buttons for different applications. For some
> reason the driver for the G5 doesn't want to do that. Odd. Otherwise a
> very very nice mouse indeed. Excellent for gaming, i.m.o. and it got
> rave reviews from some fps-fan-reviewers, which sorta says something I
> guess (can't stand fps myself).
>
> -Peter

G'day Peter - thanks for replying

So how limited is the driver? I at least want to be able to set a couple
of the side buttons to just 'fourth button' and 'fifth button' if
nothing else, so I can set those to open Expose and the Dashboard in
System Prefs. Of course I can always use USB Overdrive, but I would like
a mouse with useful DPI changing. How quickly can you change your G5's
DPI so it's nice and slow? No more than a second? Cause I do enjoy the
occasional FPS and that's what I need for headshots.

Peter Huebner

In article <1ioz59f.1qynpwz1ovyq1N%(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> So how limited is the driver? I at least want to be able to set a couple
> of the side buttons to just 'fourth button' and 'fifth button' if
> nothing else, so I can set those to open Expose and the Dashboard in
> System Prefs. Of course I can always use USB Overdrive, but I would like
> a mouse with useful DPI changing. How quickly can you change your G5's
> DPI so it's nice and slow? No more than a second? Cause I do enjoy the
> occasional FPS and that's what I need for headshots.

the driver lets you assign any keypress or things like 'back' 'forward'
etc to any of the buttons on the mouse, and that would be (on the latest
edition of the G5) 2 thumb buttons, mouse wheel tilt right and tilt left
and click, then of course you have RMB and LMB.
In addition, this mouse has two little buttons just behind the wheel
that change the resolution up and down between 3 modes/settings. These
buttons apparently can also be programmed by the driver to do something
else. But for your 'headshot feature' they would probably be ideal.

The limitation is only in that you could have different settings for
each open application on the G7 but I've lost that feature for the G5,
so it's one customization for all apps right now.

-P.

lol, maybe I should reinstall the driver with the G7 connected, then see
if the feature still works with the g5 in the usb port, but it may not
work out of course.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1ioz59f.1qynpwz1ovyq1N%(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > So how limited is the driver? I at least want to be able to set a couple
> > of the side buttons to just 'fourth button' and 'fifth button' if
> > nothing else, so I can set those to open Expose and the Dashboard in
> > System Prefs. Of course I can always use USB Overdrive, but I would like
> > a mouse with useful DPI changing. How quickly can you change your G5's
> > DPI so it's nice and slow? No more than a second? Cause I do enjoy the
> > occasional FPS and that's what I need for headshots.
> >

> the driver lets you assign any keypress or things like 'back' 'forward'
> etc to any of the buttons on the mouse, and that would be (on the latest
> edition of the G5) 2 thumb buttons, mouse wheel tilt right and tilt left
> and click, then of course you have RMB and LMB.
> In addition, this mouse has two little buttons just behind the wheel
> that change the resolution up and down between 3 modes/settings. These
> buttons apparently can also be programmed by the driver to do something
> else. But for your 'headshot feature' they would probably be ideal.

'headshot feature' - *grins*

> The limitation is only in that you could have different settings for
> each open application on the G7 but I've lost that feature for the G5,
> so it's one customization for all apps right now.
>
> -P.
>
> lol, maybe I should reinstall the driver with the G7 connected, then see
> if the feature still works with the g5 in the usb port, but it may not
> work out of course.

Hmmm... I'll see if I can get a demo in store next week. Thanks for the
info, Peter