Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help! I think I've gone blind!

Help! I think I've gone blind!

Aardvark

I have no idea if this will get through to the group, but I'm posting
anyway.

Since last night my newsreader has been misbehaving. I had been reading
posts in 24hshd then moved on to others of my subscribed groups and read
some posts in those.

On returning to this group I found that although the post numbers in my
'Subscribed Groups' pane increased, my preview pane (which usually
contains the headers of the posts) is completely empty. Nada, Zilch,
zero. A totally blank white space.

Thinking that this may have been a glitch in my news server I switched to
my backup server. Still the same. Tried my tertiary server, still no joy.

Tried unsubbing and resubbing to the group and the result was the same.
My preview pane still looks like a polar bear walking through a blizzard
as seen through the wall of an igloo.

Closed Pan.

Reopened Pan.

No headers.

Rebooted, opened Pan, no headers.

I can read and post to my other subscribed groups just fine. This problem
only exists with 24hshd. Does anyone have any idea to remedy this
situation? Blinky or Beauregard- any suggestions?

I'll check back using Goggle Gropes (spit!) periodically today and see a)
if this post has shown up and b) if anyone has a fix.

Sittin' and hopin' with bated breath.

--
Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
http://www.liverpool08.com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Aardvark wrote:

> I have no idea if this will get through to the group, but I'm posting
> anyway.

Yep, it made it through the cyber of space.

> Since last night my newsreader has been misbehaving. <schnippage>

> I can read and post to my other subscribed groups just fine. This problem
> only exists with 24hshd. Does anyone have any idea to remedy this
> situation? Blinky or Beauregard- any suggestions?

I don't know what to offer, other than to test a reply also using Pan --
although a different version than yours (the older stable one).

> I'll check back using Goggle Gropes (spit!) periodically today ...

Nobody will see it!

Nobody will see it!

--
-bts

William Poaster

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:42:26 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

> I have no idea if this will get through to the group, but I'm posting
> anyway.
>
> Since last night my newsreader has been misbehaving. I had been reading
> posts in 24hshd then moved on to others of my subscribed groups and read
> some posts in those.
>
> On returning to this group I found that although the post numbers in my
> 'Subscribed Groups' pane increased, my preview pane (which usually
> contains the headers of the posts) is completely empty. Nada, Zilch,
> zero. A totally blank white space.
>
> Thinking that this may have been a glitch in my news server I switched to
> my backup server. Still the same. Tried my tertiary server, still no joy.
>
> Tried unsubbing and resubbing to the group and the result was the same.
> My preview pane still looks like a polar bear walking through a blizzard
> as seen through the wall of an igloo.
>
> Closed Pan.
>
> Reopened Pan.
>
> No headers.
>
> Rebooted, opened Pan, no headers.
>
> I can read and post to my other subscribed groups just fine. This problem
> only exists with 24hshd. Does anyone have any idea to remedy this
> situation? Blinky or Beauregard- any suggestions?
>
> I'll check back using Goggle Gropes (spit!) periodically today and see a)
> if this post has shown up and b) if anyone has a fix.

> Sittin' and hopin' with bated breath.

Pan/0.133 is still regarded as a beta version, & may not be too stable in
some distros. Charles Kerr has slowed down on the development of the 0.13x
versions, for some reason.
Personally I prefer the 0.14.2.xx version which is stable & has more
features. I dunno which distro you're using, but there will be an older
version for it in the repositories.

Whiskers

On 2008-10-16, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]

> On returning to this group I found that although the post numbers in my
> 'Subscribed Groups' pane increased, my preview pane (which usually
> contains the headers of the posts) is completely empty. Nada, Zilch,
> zero. A totally blank white space.

[...]

Have you manged to plonk all posts in the group? Or set the foreground
and background to the same colour?

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Aardvark

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:33:48 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

> On 2008-10-16, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> On returning to this group I found that although the post numbers in my
>> 'Subscribed Groups' pane increased, my preview pane (which usually
>> contains the headers of the posts) is completely empty. Nada, Zilch,
>> zero. A totally blank white space.

> [...]
>
> Have you manged to plonk all posts in the group? Or set the foreground
> and background to the same colour?

Spot on the button, mate. Plonked everybody while trying to plonk
nettechguide numbskulls LOL.