Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: Trying to wirelessly network USB external hard drives

Re: Trying to wirelessly network USB external hard drives

Allan Chou

Yes, John is right. The USB to Ethernet adapter needs to work on a platform
with OS and USB host controller inside.

ASIX Electronics Corporation
Technical Support Division
Support: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Sales: (E-Mail Removed)
http://www.asix.com.tw/

"John" wrote:

> The real question here is whether or not you can use USB to Ethernet adapter
> without a PC. I highly doubt it's doable but if you got it working please do
> share your experience with us.
>
> "Mac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Here's the situation, I have 2 Western Digital external hard drives
> > that I have plugged into my docked laptop, but this means I need to
> > stay docked to access those files. So, I'm looking to make those
> > external drives wireless so I can access the files from anywhere in
> > the house. I am trying to do this on the cheap with existing hardware
> > I own, or the cheapest additional hardware.
> >
> > I have a Linksys wireless router, but it only has ethernet ports, it
> > does not have USB ports. I have a 4-port USB hub. What I'm thinking is
> > that I could plug the hard drives into the 4-port USB, and then
> > connect that hub to the wireless router using a USB to Ethernet
> > connector (which can be had for less than $20). Essentially the
> > connector has a USB end which I would plug into the 4-port hub, and
> > the other end will take an ethernet cable.
> >
> > Will this actually wirelessly network the drives?
> >
> > PLEASE NOTE - I do not want to consider the following options 1)
> > putting the drives in a NAS enclosure (since my drives are already in
> > their own enclosures), 2) spending $100+ on a Belkin wireless USB hub
> > or other similar devices.

Tyler

Interested in this original thread.. what was the outcome?

I have the exact situation. Want to attach my 500 gb external usb drive
directly to the linksys router to create a shared "network" drive for all my
computers at home..

Does the usb to ethernet adaptor work, does't the drive need an ip address
to be seen by the network, can this be resolved with software (creating a
virtual ip addy?)

Tyler

news:(E-Mail Removed)...