Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > HTTPS Surprise

HTTPS Surprise

dorayme

A client with an engineering consultancy business mentioned to me the
other day that if you add an s to his http in his website home page url,
you get... a lingerie site!

I fired off an email to the commercial web host querying this and they
quickly came back with "The problem should be fixed, it should now
time-out for https. Sorry for the inconvenience".

Anyone know what this might quite mean? I have noticed this phenomenon
on a few sites now; unrelated sites come up when you give the same
address with the change to the "secure" version.

(Am reminded of this by a current thread about https://)

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:
> A client with an engineering consultancy business mentioned to me the
> other day that if you add an s to his http in his website home page url,
> you get... a lingerie site!
>
> I fired off an email to the commercial web host querying this and they
> quickly came back with "The problem should be fixed, it should now
> time-out for https. Sorry for the inconvenience".
>
> Anyone know what this might quite mean? I have noticed this phenomenon
> on a few sites now; unrelated sites come up when you give the same
> address with the change to the "secure" version.
>
> (Am reminded of this by a current thread about https://)

I assume that that have name virtual hosting and their site is set only
to listen to the 'http' port 80

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.example.com

but the catch-all server for SSL 'https' port 443 is set to something else

<VirtualHost *:443>
ServerName www.example.org

Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

server side redirect https => https NOT working Axel ASP General 8 04-27-2009 02:02 AM
https authentication & storing https page in string Naveen Dhanuka Ruby 1 09-19-2007 02:05 PM
open-uri and HTTPS, or net/https with a redirect jotto Ruby 4 10-02-2006 07:26 AM
70-227 - surprise... Mah - Dee MCSE 6 09-03-2003 10:55 PM
MCSA Surprise JTT MCSE 3 08-15-2003 02:19 AM

Advertisments