Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > KDE 3 vs 4

KDE 3 vs 4

Bruce Sinclair

There's an ongoing discussion on KDE 3 vs 4 on the ubuntu group and I saw
someone complaining about an ubuntu 8.04 upgrade (IIRC ). This might be
related ?

This cut and pasted shamelessly from a post in that group.

> If you use KDE 3 (the kubuntu packages) and want to do a dist-upgrade,
> then you will wind up with KDE 4...whether you like it or not.

I think that you have better chances of getting KDE 3 back into intrepid
if instead of complaining here, you'd file a bug report on

https://bugs.launchpad.net/

asking for KDE 3 to be reintroduced on the basis that KDE itself
declares KDE 4.1 suitable for early adopters only:

"While KDE 4.1 aims at being the first release suitable for early
adopting users, some features you are used to in KDE 3.5 are not
implemented yet."

http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.1/

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> There's an ongoing discussion on KDE 3 vs 4 on the ubuntu group and I saw
> someone complaining about an ubuntu 8.04 upgrade (IIRC ). This might be
> related ?
>
> This cut and pasted shamelessly from a post in that group.
>
>> If you use KDE 3 (the kubuntu packages) and want to do a dist-upgrade,
>> then you will wind up with KDE 4...whether you like it or not.

> I think that you have better chances of getting KDE 3 back into intrepid
> if instead of complaining here, you'd file a bug report on
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/
>
> asking for KDE 3 to be reintroduced on the basis that KDE itself
> declares KDE 4.1 suitable for early adopters only:
>
> "While KDE 4.1 aims at being the first release suitable for early
> adopting users, some features you are used to in KDE 3.5 are not
> implemented yet."
>
> http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.

I'm not sure why that person is complaining, as KDE 3.5.10 is on
the Kubuntu 8.0.4 updates site, along with easy instructions how
to install it, although they class it an /Unsupported update/.

I've tested KDE 4 on openSUSE 11, but I still use 3.5 as my daily
driver. Having said that I found 4 to work reasonably well, but its
just not as feature rich as 3.5 yet. If people are not happy with
KDE 4 the good thing about the Open Source model is that KDE 3.5
could continue as its own branch - you could still have the latest
kernel and X server and other important stuff, yet not have to use
KDE 4 just because your distro maintainers only package that.

I get updates for KDE 3.5 from the openSUSE Build Service, which is
a large repository for software not usually included on the distro
DVD/CD/iso's. Its all community built, and openSUSE themselves just
provide bandwidth and server storage for community members to put
their own contributions to the distro online. From a user POV you
either add the repositories to your online repositories list, or
use 1-click install direct from the website; either way works well.

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.