Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ASUS ships malware with new PCs

ASUS ships malware with new PCs

Max Wachtel

Now PCs are coming pre-loaded with malware. What will they think of next?

“According to an email sent out by Asus, PC Advisor reports, the Eee
Box’s 80GB hard drive has the recycled.exe virus files hidden in the
drive’s D: partition. When the drive is opened, the virus activates and
attempts to infect the C: drive and an removable drives connected to the
system. According to Symantec, the malware is likely to be the
W32/Usbalex worm, which creates an autorun.inf file to trigger
recycled.exe from D:. Separately, we’ve been testing the Eee Box this
week, and discovered our review unit came loaded with the W32/Taterf
worm - aka W32.Gammima.AG, aka kavo.exe malware that sniffs out online
gaming usernames and passwords."

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2016&tag=nl.e550
--
Virus Removal http://max.shplink.com/removal.html
Keep Clean http://max.shplink.com/keepingclean.html

why?

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 09:10:15 -0400, Max Wachtel wrote:

>Now PCs are coming pre-loaded with malware. What will they think of next?

Old news

>“According to an email sent out by Asus, PC Advisor reports, the Eee

<snip>

But consistent with the earlier recovery discs with malware, MS internal
documents and ASUS docs about major problems, 18th Sept.

Maybe it's a plan 1 per month?

Me

joevan

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:44:13 -0700, John H. Guillory
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:10:35 GMT, why?
>
>>>Now PCs are coming pre-loaded with malware. What will they think of next?

>>Old news

> Likewise, I was not amused at the fact that my Toshiba Notebook come
>pre-loaded with Google Toolbar/desktop toolbar, Napster, and some
>Bit-Torrent program.

Why heck, computers used to come with aol. Don't you hate it when that
happens?

why?

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:44:13 -0700, John H. Guillory wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:10:35 GMT, why?
>
>>>Now PCs are coming pre-loaded with malware. What will they think of next?

>>Old news

> Likewise, I was not amused at the fact that my Toshiba Notebook come
>pre-loaded with Google Toolbar/desktop toolbar, Napster, and some
>Bit-Torrent program.

That's 1 of the worst tings on the Dell laptop from a few years ago. Not
even a Mcafee unistaller. Had to run a process monitor and capture the
shortcut redirected hidden command line and manually put in the
uninstall flag.

Me