Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > VS2005 - load website and treat as Webapp

VS2005 - load website and treat as Webapp

Jethro

hi guys,

working with an inherited "project" only I have no vsprog file. The
project is a web application. Is there anyway I can recreate the
project file. At present I am loading it as a website. It works, but
because it's not being treated as a webapp, it's messing my source
control up ....

thanks guys

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

It depends. If this is .NET 2.0, you simply open the directory as a website
(or create the website, pointed to the directory, in IIS and open it). You
can then save off the solution. There is no project file for .NET 2.0.

If 1.x, you are better to create a new web site and import existing file on
each of the files. Either than or create your own project file in an XML
editor. I do not recommend the later approach.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Subscribe to my blog

or just read it:

| Think outside the box! |
"Jethro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi guys,
>
> working with an inherited "project" only I have no vsprog file. The
> project is a web application. Is there anyway I can recreate the
> project file. At present I am loading it as a website. It works, but
> because it's not being treated as a webapp, it's messing my source
> control up ....
>
> thanks guys

John Saunders

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It depends. If this is .NET 2.0, you simply open the directory as a
> website (or create the website, pointed to the directory, in IIS and open
> it). You can then save off the solution. There is no project file for .NET
> 2.0.
>
> If 1.x, you are better to create a new web site and import existing file
> on each of the files. Either than or create your own project file in an
> XML editor. I do not recommend the later approach.

I'm sure that what Gregory means is that VS2005 SP1 provides two ways to
create an ASP.NET application: the original Web Application Project, created
by using File->New Project, and a Web Site, created by using File->New Web
Site. A Web Site is not a project and has no project file. That is one of
many reasons why I recommend against them in most cases.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

In general, either works if you publish, but I tend to gravitate to projects
rather than sites, as well.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA