Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > client user/computer identification

client user/computer identification

mitja

Hi,
I have read a lot of posts on the web and got no answer. Is there any chance
of geting any unique client identification data (his IP-but not proxy IP or
router or NAT, his username, his computer name, anything) to know from where
is the user accesing my aspx page.

I have to get some identfication to know on which computer in my company is
user working.
It would be easy if thet would be just intranet (REMOTE_HOST ), but I have
some computers that are outside the intranet at the other part of the city,
accessing my .net application over the web?

thanks
Mitja

Alexey Smirnov

On Oct 14, 6:43*am, "mitja" <(E-Mail Removed)-lj.si> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have read a lot of posts on the web and got no answer. Is there any chance
> of geting any unique client identification data (his IP-but not proxy IP or
> router or NAT, his username, his computer name, anything) to know from where
> is the user accesing my aspx page.
>
> I have to get some identfication to know on which computer in my company is
> user working.
> It would be easy if thet would be just intranet (REMOTE_HOST ), but I have
> some computers that are outside the intranet at the other part of the city,
> accessing my .net application over the web?
>
> thanks
> Mitja

The REMOTE_HOST value is the IP address of the machine that requested
the page. In the intranet it is your own IP address. In the internet
this is an IP of your router/proxy and usually you will not get the
local IP address. Instead, you may get a public IP of your ISP, a
company which offers the access to the Internet. And this is not
unique.

You can try to get the computer name using the code below. This is
also based on REMOTE_ADRESS value

IPHostEntry hostInfo = new IPHostEntry();
hostInfo=Dns.GetHostByAddress(REMOTE_ADRESS);
string hostname=hostInfo.HostName;