Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Cross-Platform HTML

Re: Cross-Platform HTML

C A Upsdell

Doug Mazzacua wrote:
> I am interested in advancing my HTML skills, but want to steer clear
> of any type of code that will not be effective on all of the various
> browsers and platforms in use.
>
> Also, I want to make sure my code looks good on all of the various
> monitor sizes that people are currently using.
>
> Do any of you experts have advice on webpages or references on
> standard code that will conform to the above requirements? Also,
> short ofsimultaneously testing all revisions on numerous browsers and
> monitors, what is the best way to make sure that new code will be
> viewable and will look good on different monitors and browsers?

There are a lot of good resources out there. Here are some guidelines
which I have written: www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_testing.htm

Accompanying the tips are references to some other resources.

dorayme

In article <gd0g5q$nsq$(E-Mail Removed)>,
C A Upsdell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Doug Mazzacua wrote:
> > I am interested in advancing my HTML skills, but want to steer clear
> > of any type of code that will not be effective on all of the various
> > browsers and platforms in use.
> >
> > Also, I want to make sure my code looks good on all of the various
> > monitor sizes that people are currently using.
> >
> > Do any of you experts have advice on webpages or references on
> > standard code that will conform to the above requirements? Also,
> > short ofsimultaneously testing all revisions on numerous browsers and
> > monitors, what is the best way to make sure that new code will be
> > viewable and will look good on different monitors and browsers?

> There are a lot of good resources out there. Here are some guidelines
> which I have written: www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_testing.htm

Much looks good in these guidelines... but OP should be careful not to
follow the complicated font css practice you employ, in my opinion.

I know, you have thought about all this and are not unintelligent about
it and we have all been through it afew times. But it is worth saying
to a new person that it is a very sound policy to stick in font-size:
100% for body (the default, yes, but it avoids an IE bug, never mind
why) and do not fiddle with this for text that needs to be actually read
for a while (unlike navigation links which can be a little smaller (or
even bigger!) without harm.

Not sure if you say anything about semantic mark up (do you?) but OP
might get to google this one up, it is important as an ideal. For
example, basically use the most meaningful tools for the job. For
example, a list of navigational links is best made with a list element
and styled in CSS to suit.

--
dorayme

Bergamot

C A Upsdell wrote:

> There are a lot of good resources out there. Here are some guidelines
> which I have written: www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_testing.htm

Hmmm... your specified text size (small) is too small for comfortable
reading, especially when combined with your preferred Calibri font. I
actually had to zoom text to read this page, something I haven't had to
do since I started using the minimum font size setting in my browser.
This one thing makes me seriously question your credibility so I didn't
bother reading what you had to say, except about font sizes.

You seem to be alone in preferring keywords for font-size. I don't think
it's a good choice, but TEHO.

--
Berg

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This one thing makes me seriously question your credibility so I didn't
> bother reading what you had to say, except about font sizes.

Fancy so artlessly confessing to a wooden uncharitability. For God's
sake! Fancy only reading the man's weak point instead of possibly
praising some strong points. To the OP.

Make up your own mind and see all advice, do not be misled into
wholesale rejections.

--
"Bergamot's Greatest Fan"

--
dorayme

C A Upsdell

Bergamot wrote:
> C A Upsdell wrote:
>> There are a lot of good resources out there. Here are some guidelines
>> which I have written: www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_testing.htm

> Hmmm... your specified text size (small) is too small for comfortable
> reading, especially when combined with your preferred Calibri font. I
> actually had to zoom text to read this page, something I haven't had to
> do since I started using the minimum font size setting in my browser.
> This one thing makes me seriously question your credibility so I didn't
> bother reading what you had to say, except about font sizes.
>
> You seem to be alone in preferring keywords for font-size. I don't think
> it's a good choice, but TEHO.

As you may note from another of my replies, this particular technique is
used in the website for historical reasons.

As to the font size being too small, that is a related issue., In the
old days, so many people set a smaller font size than the user's default
that many users increased their default font size to compensate. My
technique assumes this behaviour ... but my technique results in fonts
which are too small for many who do NOT increase their default font
sizes to compensate.

When making a choice of how to set the font sizes, I am therefore faced
with two choices: to accept the user's default as is, which results in
body text which is too large for some people; or to use a slightly
smaller size than the user's default, which results in body text too
small for other people (like you).

Which technique I use depends on the type of audience I expect, and
whichever I choose will, alas, be wrong for some.

rf

"C A Upsdell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gd0svc$313$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bergamot wrote:
>> C A Upsdell wrote:

> When making a choice of how to set the font sizes, I am therefore faced
> with two choices: to accept the user's default as is, which results in
> body text which is too large for some people; or to use a slightly smaller
> size than the user's default, which results in body text too small for
> other people (like you).

You made the wrong choice.

If the font size is too small then your viewer may well be *not able to read
it*, so will simply move on to the next site. Your loss.

If the font size is too large then your viewer will still be able to read
it. They might not *like* it but they can still read it. Your gain.

Bergamot

dorayme wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> This one thing makes me seriously question your credibility so I didn't
>> bother reading what you had to say, except about font sizes.

> Fancy only reading the man's weak point instead of possibly
> praising some strong points.

Um, someone claiming to promote "good practices" but has unreadable text
on their own site is someone I find extremely difficult to take seriously.

--
Berg

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> This one thing makes me seriously question your credibility so I didn't
> >> bother reading what you had to say, except about font sizes.

> > Fancy only reading the man's weak point instead of possibly
> > praising some strong points.

> Um, someone claiming to promote "good practices" but has unreadable text
> on their own site is someone I find extremely difficult to take seriously.

Well, I thoroughly understand. You have let a genuine objection to one
thing prejudice you about other things. You will notice I was the first
to object about issues that concerned you.

But how come this did not blind me to the sensible other things this
"someone" said? It was not because of my tallness, darkness or sheer
beauty nor because of my angel heart. If you were to have a quick glance
at things beyond the faults you notice, the world would not stop, it
really would not.

--
dorayme