Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Free hanging text style

Free hanging text style

soup_or_power@yahoo.com

Hi All
I have a free hanging text like this:
The problem is the font is getting bigger in IE7. On Chrome and IE8
it
appears correctly.
The page also has several text instances with style attributes that
appear all right.
Tried <span> which doesn't seem to make a difference.
Can you please help me out?
Thanks

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2008-10-13, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi All
> I have a free hanging text like this:
> The problem is the font is getting bigger in IE7. On Chrome and IE8
> it
> appears correctly.
> The page also has several text instances with style attributes that
> appear all right.
> Tried <span> which doesn't seem to make a difference.
> Can you please help me out?

Remove all <font> tags. If you need to change the font size from
the default (which you should rarely do), use a CSS stylesheet.

Author:

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,

> I have a free hanging text like this:
> The problem is the font is getting bigger in IE7. On Chrome and IE8
> it
> appears correctly.

What is captured text, what is the opposite of free text? Perhaps you
could provide a URL and say what you want?

--
dorayme

Harlan Messinger

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi All
> I have a free hanging text like this:

What is "free hanging text"?

> The problem is the font is getting bigger in IE7.

Bigger than what? Getting bigger when? When you feed it? When you leave
it in sunlight?

> On Chrome and IE8
> it
> appears correctly.
> The page also has several text instances with style attributes that
> appear all right.
> Tried <span> which doesn't seem to make a difference.

Tried using it to do what?

> Can you please help me out?

You're going to need to do a better job of explaining what your problem
is. A URL would be very helpful.

Neredbojias

On 13 Oct 2008, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Hi All
> I have a free hanging text like this:

> The problem is the font is getting bigger in IE7. On Chrome and IE8
> it
> appears correctly.
> The page also has several text instances with style attributes that
> appear all right.
> Tried <span> which doesn't seem to make a difference.
> Can you please help me out?

Are you using a strict doctype? If not, you should. Also,
using css, and that can be done in more than one way. And as others
have stated, a url would be advantageous to your cause.

> Thanks

Moseltov

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/

soup_or_power@yahoo.com

On Oct 13, 5:30*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> *"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I have a free hanging text like this:
> > The problem is the font is getting bigger in IE7. On Chrome and IE8
> > it
> > appears correctly.

> What is captured text, what is the opposite of free text? Perhaps you
> could provide a URL and say what you want?
>
> --
> dorayme

Sorry I don't have the document in public domain. As I stated, it
depends on the browser. I checked the following URL

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/Style.html

And it uses font tag to change the color/size of the text that is not
enclosed in any markup which is not working on IE7 (works on EI8 and
Chrome). What I mean by free hanging text is text that is not inside
any markup (other than body/head/html).

Thanks

soup_or_power@yahoo.com

On Oct 13, 3:40*pm, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2008-10-13, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hi All
> > I have a free hanging text like this:
> > The problem is the font is getting bigger in IE7. On Chrome and IE8
> > it
> > appears correctly.
> > The page also has several text instances with style attributes that
> > appear all right.
> > Tried <span> which doesn't seem to make a difference.
> > Can you please help me out?

> * * Remove all <font> tags. If you need to change the font size from
> * * the default (which you should rarely do), use a CSS stylesheet.
>
> --
> * *Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster * * * * <http://Woodbine-Gerrard.com>
> * *================================================== =================
> * *Author:
> * *Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)

How do I use CSS for text not inside any markup?
Thanks

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2008-10-14, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Sorry I don't have the document in public domain. As I stated, it
> depends on the browser. I checked the following URL

Put up a document that exhibits the problem.

> http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/Style.html
>
> And it uses font tag to change the color/size of the text that is not
> enclosed in any markup which is not working on IE7 (works on EI8 and
> Chrome). What I mean by free hanging text is text that is not inside
> any markup (other than body/head/html).

That is not valid HTML. Everything must be inside a block-level
element.

Author:

dorayme

In article <24308$48f4f8c4$cef88ba3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Chris F.A. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2008-10-14, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > What I mean by free hanging text is text that is not inside
> > any markup (other than body/head/html).

> That is not valid HTML. Everything must be inside a block-level
> element.

Depends on the doctype, under some it does not have to be.

--
dorayme