Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > recycling: best way to stream music

recycling: best way to stream music

Jani

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 22:24:15 -0500 Whitecrest <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>:

>Ok... Tony walks into a bar with a monkey in their pants, and says to
>the bartender....
>
>> My webpage automatically detects whether a person has realmedia or not. If
>> it detects realmedia, then it will stream a rm file and if it doesn't, it
>> will stream a wma file. I noticed that there is a big difference in size
>> between these two files, with the wma file being 4.5mb and th rm file being
>> 0.7mb. Will the larger wma file have problems streaming to people who slow
>> dial-up connections?

> If your wma file is 4.5 meg, then you are encoding it wrong. A typical
> wma file is slightly larger than its RM counterpart.
>
>> I am also thinking of including the capability of detecting flash so that I
>> can stream a flash version of the music.

> See my website for a flash object that streams audio. They are very
> easy to build. (You can download the one I have on the site for free at
> www.placemedia.com/flashplayer.zip) I will send the fla file if you want
> to modify it.
>
>> What other formats can I stream
>> music in, and what would be the preferred format to stream in? Is it wma,
>> rm, flash, or something else?

> You can stream just about anything. MP3's can be streamed by creating a
> M3U file
> --
> Whitecrest Entertainment
> http://www.whitecrestent.com
> Film Music Comedy

Well, this man's page is now completly different but we can find other
nice examples to include music:

e.g.
http://www.michaelbolton.com/
http://www.paulanka.com/flash/main.html